Techniques to Achieve Lower Contrast/Saturation

conan.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Wasn't sure which subforum to post in, but I figured I could get the answers I was looking for here so...

Besides using films with more subdued color palettes, what can I do to achieve lower contrast/saturation in my photos? I won't start developing color film myself for a few months, so right now I'm focusing on shooting techniques.

For example, I've read that overexposing color negs can create higher saturation, does this logic work for underexposing?
etc etc

Any advice would be appreciated.

You might get better results for this question by posting it in the "Film" forum.

I'm not sure why you would want lower contrast and saturation in your photos...but there is a niche for everybody..

I am not a fan of trying to accomplish irreversable technique with the negative.. I believe that your negative should be properly exposed and focused exactly where you want it.... You can never change or fix what you don't already have..

After that, you can change things to fit your end-product vision in the printing processes if you want a different look..

Contrast is typically controlled during printing, and to a lesser extend developing. In the world of film besides using techniques such as cranking the developing times and dropping the temperature, typically the final result is handled at the enlarger where a combination of dodging, burning, and choosing one of the many grades of paper to print on will have by far the biggest, and importantly the most controllable effect.

Most reactions

Back