Desert Landscapes / Nikon F2 - Portra 400 Feedback

psilocyben

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Finally getting into film photography and recently got a Nikon F2. This is my first roll I've developed. I'm looking for some feedback, I feel like there's just a bit more noise than I was expecting in a lot of photos, and also some of the colors are maybe a bit dull. I realize its a low contrast film though. Also a lot of the shots are into sunlight during golden hour or sunrise, where I wasn't sure where to aim for my light meter, and subsequently many are either overblown (when there was really nice color in the sky), or the foreground is too dark. I generally used an stop of F11-18 or so, and adjusted the shutter speed according the light meter. All these photos are unedited and how I got them back from the developing studio, just looking for some tips on how I can improve my photos. Any insight is hugely appreciated!

Camera: Nikon F2
Lens: Nikkor 28mm 2.8
Film: Kodak Portra 400

000003130001.jpg
000003130004.jpg
000003130006.jpg
000003130012.jpg
000003130015.jpg
000003130021.jpg
000003130028.jpg
000003130031.jpg
000003130032.jpg
000003130034.jpg

000003130036.jpg

Last edited:
I don't find that shooting into the sun is necessarily the best; that mostly threw off the exposure. Next time try a different vantage point/angle or time of day. I often aim somewhat downward then reframe the shot.

These aren't that bad so a little photoshopping/adjustment might help.

I don't find that shooting into the sun is necessarily the best; that mostly threw off the exposure. Next time try a different vantage point/angle or time of day. I often aim somewhat downward then reframe the shot.

These aren't that bad so a little photoshopping/adjustment might help.
Yeah I can definitely see how shooting into the sun can be problematic. It's just unfortunate because I feel like theres always sunsets/sunrises i'd love to capture well, with the sun in the frame, but I don't know how. For instance, the second to last photo with my friend sitting down, there was a really dramatic sunset and the entire sky is just blown out white. I'll try different vantage points though next time, and ill aim downward when i'm getting my light meter reading. Adjusting the levels in lightroom definitely made the photos look a lot better, but wanted to post the raw photos in hopes of getting some tips to take better photos. Do you think the noise level looks normal? Particularly in the skies/clouds where its more visible? Thanks for all your insight

Don't see too much graininess but Portra is nice film. And I realized 400 speed was used; that's too fast for outdoor sunshine (which is why some of the later day photos are better). Go with 100 speed (ISO) or even slower for these conditions.

I usually try to aim down toward the area where the subject is, then meter and reframe. But then I don't shoot vistas...

You might try bracketing, which is done more for B&W. But that would give you more than one photo of the scene that would be almost the same. When you bracket you change a setting for each shot - such as f8, then go with f11 and 5.6, to make sure you get one with a hopefully proper exposure.

I like the set. Is that the California High Desert? Years ago I visited the Joshua Tree area, and did a hike through the then National Monument. It was a wonderful experience, and some of these shots bring that back. :)

Don't see too much graininess but Portra is nice film. And I realized 400 speed was used; that's too fast for outdoor sunshine (which is why some of the later day photos are better). Go with 100 speed (ISO) or even slower for these conditions.

I usually try to aim down toward the area where the subject is, then meter and reframe. But then I don't shoot vistas...

You might try bracketing, which is done more for B&W. But that would give you more than one photo of the scene that would be almost the same. When you bracket you change a setting for each shot - such as f8, then go with f11 and 5.6, to make sure you get one with a hopefully proper exposure.
Okay good to know. Yeah I did use 400 speed on this roll just to kind of see how things would turn out, but I will definitely try with a lower speed need time. The problem I was getting when metering away from the light was then the light would be too blown out, but maybe with a lower ISO they will turn out better. Also going to maybe try bracketing. Thanks for all the insight here

I like the set. Is that the California High Desert? Years ago I visited the Joshua Tree area, and did a hike through the then National Monument. It was a wonderful experience, and some of these shots bring that back. :)
Thanks! Just the last couple photos are the High Desert/Joshua Tree. The rest are a bit farther south around Mount Laguna and Anza Borrego. That whole area though is amazing, i'm glad some of the photos were able to bring back those memories for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back