teleconverter or low-end mirror lens?

jack58

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
moskovita-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I dropped my Sigma 50-500mm on the pavement (long story and makes me sick) and I'm right at the start of my Nesting Bald Eagle story. Problem is, some pressing bills force me to wait on getting a good lens, so I need a quick fix until then. I have $400 to spend and I can choose between a Nikkor 500mm f/8 or Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens, or a real good 2x teleconverter for my Nikkor 70-300mm. The cost of each is about the same and I was wondering if anyone has experience with both, or either, and any advice on which would be better.

I'm leaning to have my D300 w/Nikkor 70-300 for flight shots and use the D5000 w/600mm mirror on tri-pod for the nest shots.

This is a quick fix until I get more funds, (2-3 months) but the nesting bald eagles is NOW and won't wait.
See last years story here:
Nesting Bald Eagles 2010.

It comes down to do you want distracting horrible looking bokeh (not an issue if you have no depth in the picture), or do you want a fuzzy result (2x teleconverter is pretty nasty on the 70-300).

nice story and shots. if you really need it now I would get the teleconverter, but I would get a 1.4 unless you really need the 2x. you would only lose 1 F stop and could use it with a higher grade lens when you get it.

Thanks for the fast replies. Problem is, I need a lens NOW and only have $400 to spend and the nesting bald eagles aren't going to wait for me...

That said, what would you choose and why...

(sounds like 1.4 might be an idea. Can I auto focus with that?)

I
Use canon and own a 70-300mm lens and have used the canon 1.4 with it with good results. I have shot full zoom with it but at about the 250 -275 spot seems to get the best results compared to full 300.
Higher grade 70-300 but still.

I
Use canon and own a 70-300mm lens and have used the canon 1.4 with it with good results. I have shot full zoom with it but at about the 250 -275 spot seems to get the best results compared to full 300.
Higher grade 70-300 but still.

Which converter is that? I was considering the TC-20E II Teleconverter

Pretty sure that nikon 2x converters won't work on the 70-300, and even if it did work, you'll have a lousy 600mm f/11..

Just save your money and rent a boomstick from Glazer's.

Pretty sure that nikon 2x converters won't work on the 70-300, and even if it did work, you'll have a lousy 600mm f/11..

Just save your money and rent a boomstick from Glazer's.

How about a Nikon 1.4 converter?

Problem with the renting which I though of is this is a 4+ month long story, at least 75 hours. (last years)

copyed the wrong line I have the pro optics one, but it seems Ok haven't used it much Air shows things like that where I wanted lots of ZOOM as I said it drops off at the 300 zoom range, but got some good shots of the jets in flight with good day light. at 300 the lens is 5.6 with out the converter.

How about a roughly $110 500mm f/8 all-glass long-focus lens? Something with coated opticss, from Quantaray or Asanuma or Rokinon or Samyang?? The 500mm f/8 mirror Nikkors are reasonably sharp, and bad bokeh is not that much of a factor when the background is sky...

Update:

I got both. It will be fun to try them for myself and see what works. In 2-3 months, I'll get another Sigma / Bigma lens. And maybe if I ever get rich, a 500 f/4 Nikkor lens.

I got a Vivitar 500mm mirror lens and the Kenko PRO 300 1.4x TELECONV from B&H.

I saw many positive reviews on the the Kenko PRO 300 1.4x TELECONV
I'm not expecting much from the mirror lens, just hoping with my experience, I can make it work.

The one that convinced me was this quote:
I bought this converter because my older Nikkor ED AF 300mm f 2.8 lens will not autofocus with the Nikon version as the Nikon converter doesn't have the pin drive - this one does. I used it on my D3s for action photos at a championship high school football game. I was skeptical about using it because I'd read a lot of bad things about focus speed loss and loss of sharpness with converters and while I don't dispute other's experiences, I found no problems with either, though I have to admit I used it for a day game but resisted using it on the more important night game just incase it might cause me to lose shots due to slower focus grab.
There was no lowering of focus speed and no lessening of sharpness. I was very happy with the results.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back