Teleconverters vs. Macro Extension tubes

airgunr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that a 2x Teleconverter will make a 400mm lense effectivly a 800mm lense.

I know that Macro Extension tubes will increase the magnification of your macro lense.

Does the extension tube make (for example) a 60mm macro lense a say 100mm (depending on the size of the extension tube) or does it work that way?

Can you use extension tubes on a standard lense to make it a macro?

Can you use a teleconverter on a marco lense?

Does the extension tube make (for example) a 60mm macro lense a say 100mm (depending on the size of the extension tube) or does it work that way?

If you have a 60mm macro that has 1:1 magnification ratio and you put 60mm worth of extension tube behind it you would have a 60mm macro with a 2:1 magnification ratio, or twice life size. The real down side would be an extremely close working range, and very narrow DOF.

Can you use extension tubes on a standard lense to make it a macro?

Absolutely! This is what they are intended for.

Can you use a teleconverter on a marco lense?

Yes, in your example above you would get a 120mm macro lens that gave you a 1:1 magnification ratio. One classic example is the Vivitar/Soligor branded macro teleconverters of manual focus days.

I have a Soligor for my Contax RTS II. Placed behind a 50mm prime lens it makes that lens a 100mm. Twist the converter and it becomes a 1:1 100mm macro lens. Down side again is the minimal working distance vs. a true 100mm macro lens.

It works with other lenses as well, both as a 2x teleconverter, and as an extension tube, though the mag ratio differs depending on which lens you use it with.

Most reactions

Back