Tell me what i'm doing wrong..

JBova

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i just got my first DSLR camera a week ago. Well not only my first DSLR but my first real camera besides disposable camera's (like 15 years ago lol) and iPhone camera's. I'v been reading a little on photography but mostly watching a lot of YouTube videos. I feel like i'v got a pretty decent understanding how everything works but i know iv got a LOT still to learn so that's why i'm making this thread.

I watched a lot of reviews on "beginner" camera's before i bought one and decided to pull the trigger and bought a Nikon D3200 with the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm new to this so i didn't want to spend more than i did just in case i end up being horrible at it and give it up.

So far i'v probably taken about 1k photo's of random things around the house just to learn the camera and the settings in Manual mode. So after a few days of shooting around the house i felt i had a pretty good feel for it and decided to take the GTO out for a spin and try to get some decent shoots.

The main thing I'll be shooting is automotive related and i really want to learn long exposure photography.

Anyways, here are some of the shots i'v taken so far. All these were taken in Manual mode and edited with Lightroom which i'v also only had for a week.

Last edited:
Tell you what's wrong?

What do you think is wrong?

What's wrong is all of the bull**** links to some other unused forum that the op is trying to draw attention to.

The first two shots of the car are totally over-saturated and cartoonish.

The third shot of the car could use some post-work (set black & white points).

The SVT is blurry and mostly OOF.

The turtle shots and the dog are under-exposed.

The sunset has no real subject and is crooked.

Tell you what's wrong?

What do you think is wrong?

idk, i feel like the colors in the first two could be turned down a little so it doesn't take the focus away from the car. I also think i may be over editing them? But i have no idea really. I'm looking for constructive criticism on what you guys think. over exposed? under exposed? turn down the highlights? Don't use as much gaussian blur? anything that you think would make them look better.

What's wrong is all of the bull**** links to some other unused forum that the op is trying to draw attention to.
calm down cowboy, i got it fixed for you.

The first two shots of the car are totally over-saturated and cartoonish.

The third shot of the car could use some post-work (set black & white points).

The SVT is blurry and mostly OOF.

The turtle shots and the dog are under-exposed.

The sunset has no real subject and is crooked.

that's more of an answer i'm looking for. I agree with most of what you said now that you bring it to my attention. do you usually try to set the histogram on 0 or a little on the + side? most all of the pictures i posted were taken as close to 0 as i could get. maybe im turning the exposure down too much in Lightroom.

Most reactions

Back