Tesla Model S

blash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Seats 7? Center console is just one big touch screen? 300 mile range? 45 minute recharging time? Besides all that other awesome stuff like it costing virtually nothing to drive, from propulsion costs to the maintenance costs, green, etc.? Unreal.

Model S has received the official "EPIC WANT!" Seal of Approval.

Tesla is *the* great new American car company. PLEASE, do not let these guys go under before they have a chance to penetrate the mass market.

Tesla Model S Sedan Concept: $49,900 Seven-Seater Electric To Hit Streets In 2011

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's also got a constant 3G connection for Google Maps, internet radio... the handles pop out automatically when you approach the car, and the car starts automatically once you climb in. Tesla really outdid themselves.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5185966/first-look-at-tesla-model-s-fantastically-giant-touch-lcd-console

Last edited:
Finally something coming out of the West Coast that is mind boggling, outside of sports!

Not a bad looking car, until you get to the rear end. Side looks like a BMW, front looks like a combination of Jag & Aston-Martin, but the rear end looks like it came off of a Saturn.

Not a bad looking car, until you get to the rear end. Side looks like a BMW, front looks like a combination of Jag & Aston-Martin, but the rear end looks like it came off of a Saturn.

I suppose we can average out the costs of that Aston Martin and that Saturn to get the $50k asking price? I mean come on... this car isn't awesome because of it's looks, it's awesome because it's the first half-innovative car since the original Prius, and I don't just mean that in a green way.

I suppose we can average out the costs of that Aston Martin and that Saturn to get the $50k asking price? I mean come on... this car isn't awesome because of it's looks, it's awesome because it's the first half-innovative car since the original Prius, and I don't just mean that in a green way.

I know what you meant. And, yes, that's a heck of a step from the ~$110,000 Tesla Roadster. I wouldn't mind having something like that, but unfortunately, it's a vicious circle with something like Tesla. People don't want to buy them because they don't have much history, and they aren't going to get much history if people don't buy them. Plus, I have a hard time spending 1/3 the cost of my home for an automobile. That's why I have always purchased used, to avoid the horrid depreciation.

$50k? They have to do better than that for me to give up my beloved IC engines. I doubt I can get a car to last me 32 years so that it pays off not buying gas.

I think you know what real engine is;)

Oh... A Hummer? A heavy duty Chevy delivering 12 miles per gallon? That kind of overkill? Nah, I'll stick with my Harley Davidson and resist making rich all the oil barons. ;)

Wait!... Harley Davidson is a real engine!!!:thumbup:

I can't stand seeing Hummers on the road. 90% of the time when I see them, it's people who obviously don't need them. Is a Hummer REALLY necessary when all you're hauling around is yourself? Does little Billy's soccer equipment REALLY require what is more or less an ARMY vehicle to haul around?

*sigh*

I really shouldn't respond to these posts . . . I start to rant.

I think the car is pretty neat looking. I'd consider it, if I weren't poor as dirt.

Battery powered cars are not the ideal solution.... you are missing a huge piece of the equation if you think it costs virtually nothing to drive, green, and low maintenance.

Recharging batteries is not efficient (you have to put more into it to hold a charge). The materials involved in the manufacture of batteries is horribly toxic (not green) not to mention a consumable item. Most consumers will frown at the 45min recharge cycle no matter what the range. The power has to be generated via some method and source. In the U.S, about 1/2 of electric power is from coal which isn't the cleanest source nor renewable.

Electric cars simply shift the pollution and consumption elsewhere.

In order to get such a vehicle to make a shift in the commuting (where most of our fuel is wasted) habits of U.S. workers, the car does not have to be a hauler of lots of stuff and people. What it HAS to achieve is a highly efficient vehicle at a price point that allows the typical middle-class family to purchase one as their SECOND vehicle. Allowing the family to continue ownership of that large sized (more practical) vehicle as their primary vehicle. At $50k this vehicle is missing its mark... and the ability to hold 7 passengers is pointless for the green minded commuter.

oh yeh... electric car... big whoop. It has been done before and shelved by powerful people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Oh yeh... I hate hummer urban wannabe drivers too.

On the other hand, I do hope Tesla survives. Simply put they proved some of the ideal properties of electric engines in terms of performance with their roadster; instant torque. Good work!

Last edited:
oh yeh... electric car... big whoop. It has been done before and shelved by powerful people.

Not only shelved, but recalled and completely dismantled. Anyone who managed to hold on to one can not drive them on the road, they can no longer be titled. I heard some where rendered inopperable like the old military equipment you see out side the VFW posts :lmao:

Anyone do the math on this puppy to see where the 'break-even' mileage point is compared to, say, a Honda Civic? It might prove enlightening.

Anyone do the math on this puppy to see where the 'break-even' mileage point is compared to, say, a Honda Civic? It might prove enlightening.
I don't own a Honda Civic, I already own a Mazda Tribute which meets my needs with kids. A Civic does not meet my needs, so the comparison means nothing.

Mazda - paid $18,500 new, 24 mpg, AWD, lots of snow in PA, sits up high for good visibility.

Tesla - Cost $50,000, 0 mpg, AWD???, still lots of snow in PA, sits low for poor visibility which is one reason I like small 4WD/AWD Crossover SUV and small pickup trucks.

Typical usage of vehicle for me - 10 years before the PA salted winters eat up the car. Roughly 15,000 miles per year driven.

Payoff - 25.2 years. That's with an AWD small SUV comparison. Imagine what it would be like with something that is more economical.

Hmmm.... I used to have a 80s CRX that got close to 50mpg. WTF happened to them?

Oh yeh.. i forgot. All our cars got bloated with weight in part by safety and road regulation that favors big vehicles (including SUVs). :er:

There are tons of options overseas but none of them are available in the U.S. Cheap gas anyone?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back