Testing my AF 1.4D 50mm, something wrong?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
My AF-1.4D 50mm has been the most reliable lens for many years. A month ago it fell out of my camera bag and hit the floor rolling. The first point impact was on the lens cap. I tested it on the spot, all mechanical bits seemed fine. The aperture blades worked fine and AF was working smoothly. It was dark at night. I took a few shots to make sure but couldn't really test if the metering worked normal.

Came a month later, I got a new camera body (D750) and took it out shooting. When I have the 50mm on, the exposure was off in an unpredictable way. The light condition was within 2 hours of sunset, so it ranged from even lighting to high contrast lighting. The lens was generally over exposing, but what's worse was it was giving me weird exposure results with different aperture settings at A-priority mode. Meaning the exposure result between say F4 and F8 was very different.

I took the lens to a well known old-school repair shop. The technician took a quick look, snapped a few shots with it and said there's nothing wrong that he could tell. All mechanical parts worked normally, and the shots were fine too.

Yesterday I took it out to shoot again. The unpredictable exposure didn't happen, but I still think the exposure was too high. So I did the following test, indoor however, comparing the lens with other lens at the same focal length, same aperture at A-priority mode, same metering mode, but on two different camera bodies.

XmoaVFv.jpg

If I have to be anal, the AF 1.4D 50mm results in higher exposure averagely, perhaps not by too much, but it was more than what I would normally expect. The reason why I am annoyed by this is in many situations, the over exposed region in my photos tend to happen more often than before. So I am not sure if this is the matter of camera body difference or that my lens needs to be looked at. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I think it is doing just fine compared to the zoom next to it. Why not just dial in a little exposure comp when you use the lens?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back