Testing out my setup

fsquare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hoping to get a little more feedback here compared to the beginners forum.

I've been using a dslr for the last couple of years but i have more or less concentrated on urban fragments, landscapes, cityscapes etc etc

I'm trying my hand at portraiture and lighting now. This is one of my first attempts with my new small studio setup. I'll take all the c&c i can get.

Shoot through umbrella high camera left, white reflector camera right about 3 feet away from subject at 90 degree.

50mm, 1/250, f/5.6

5487682992_270b00e989_b.jpg

The lighting is not bad, its prob the pose that is awful. I don't understand why she was tilting her had that back, just ruins the picture.

She isn't a model and nothing was prepped but my lighting set up, camera and backdrop. She was pretty much my guinea pig for 15 minutes.

This is for you to learn, not your model.
The Rules Of Good Portraiture

Look at pgriz's examples on lighting patterns. Short lighting is more appealing on females. Having their chest in the direction of the main light only emphasizes their chest, not their face.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/236758-portraiture-c-c-woodies-session.html

I've yet to see an "up the nose" shot that is attractive. In fact, IMO they are less attractive than the infamous "duck face".

Your lighting isn't too bad. The left eye shadow is a bit too dark along with the nose shadow. Try bringing your main more towards the camera to lessen the angle and subsequently the darkness of the shadow. A white reflector opposite the main may help to even the harsh shadow line created by the chin.

Check to see if that is sensor dust in the middle of her chest. If so, clone it out.

I like the angle of the shoulders with regard to lens axis.

kundalini this helped immensely. Really appreciate the input.

PS: not sensor dust, just supper. Like i said, this was just a quick "let me test my lighting setup out"

Just to expand kundalini, let's say same pose (minus her nose up), you would suggest bringing the key light to her left at pretty much 90 degrees from the subject, high and pointed down at a 45degree angle?

would suggest bringing the key light to her left at pretty much 90 degrees from the subject, high and pointed down at a 45degree angle?
If you want split lighting, of course, split lighting would have the light source more at ear level.

If she didn't have that unfortunate food spill on her sweater, and she wasn't posed in an up-nose manner, and she were dressed in prettier or fancier or more sensual clothing, this setup would have made for a pretty favorable shot of her. But I think we all know what it is like to have some semi-motivated family member grudgingly allowing us five minutes to try out a lighting setup. She's an attractive woman, and the way the light rakes across her sweater shows good detail and texture in the fabric. She has an ample, feminine bustline. Good complexion and skin. But the position, the pose, that she was captured in when the shutter fired is just not working well.

This is for you to learn, not your model.
The Rules Of Good Portraiture

<snip>

Holey Moley! That's a lotta rules! Thanks, Kundalini - I've been looking for something like this. Will have to sit down in some place quiet and organize myself to study these carefully. There's obviously a lot more to portraiture than just lighting. OTOH, since I am the family's designated photographer (mainly because I got the camera and the gear), I better learn these before the next big family get-together.

Most reactions

Back