Testing the New(Old) Nikon 135 f2 AIS

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is an ancient lens but man does it produce some sharp and contrasty images. Had to get this one from Japan on eBay. Sample flower photo shot at f2 at or near the min focus distance. Can't wait to try a few portraits. I also picked up a 50 f1.2 AIS. Equally good IMO.

_DSC1518.jpg

one photo is not much to go by but that photo looks good.

you picked up a 50mm 1.2 are you sure its 1.2 ?? i have seen 1.4 and 1.8 but never a 1.2

I think you might also be in for a treat when you try out the 135/2 at longer distances and in low or flat light, where it's still a pretty strong performer compared to many much newer lenses. It's really a nifty optic...I'm thinking there's gonna be a new 135 coming from Nikon in 2016...bracing for an introductory price in the neighborhood of around two thousand dollars.

You may call that contrasty, but the histogram shows it's very flat. Nothing really below 30 or above 220. Adjust your black & white levels and it will REALLY pop!

1.2 must be pretty crazy for DOF. Very cool.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

This is an ancient lens but man does it produce some sharp and contrasty images. Had to get this one from Japan on eBay. Sample flower photo shot at f2 at or near the min focus distance. Can't wait to try a few portraits. I also picked up a 50 f1.2 AIS. Equally good IMO.

View attachment 112613
Very nice. One of the nicest snap shot image I have seen on this forum. It proves your claim with an exclamation. What body are you using?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bokeh is sweet

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks, using a D800e. I started out using manual focus so I'm really enjoying these manual primes. And I have always been a fan of extreme shallow DOF stuff, still am if done right, even though it has become somewhat of a trendy fad.

I'll post some photos of the lenses later, it is cool to see how small they are being large aperture beasts without AF.

Here is a test shot of my son using the 50 @ f1.2. Difficult w/o AF but certainly doable.

image.jpeg

Most reactions

Back