Tetenal...

dennyr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
.....kind of surprised i saw no mention anywhere on The Forum, but i will be the first to admit that my skills with a computer are unimpressive.
It seems the "restructuring" efforts have failed, whatever that means.
Bankruptcy of any kind is bad news. I have no idea how or if they will survive their latest announcement on January 29.
Regardless, it seems there will be Rough Seas ahead.
As a 60 year old photographer, i am concerned.....if i were a 20 year old photo-junky, i would be very saddened indeed.
Fingers crossed i guess. :(

They tried restructuring under Chapter 11, but yes, apparently all efforts failed. They will be forced to close their doors and lay off all remaining employees by the end of March.

In addition to their other products, they made a lovely blue toner, the best I ever used.

They tried restructuring under Chapter 11, but yes, apparently all efforts failed. They will be forced to close their doors and lay off all remaining employees by the end of March.

In addition to their other products, they made a lovely blue toner, the best I ever used.
Well.....that is discouraging.

Updates suggest there's a chance of an Ilford-style employee reorg plan.
Also surprised, like dennyr with Tetenal, by the lack of mention/coverage of the potential Kodak Alaris asset sell-off.

Wonder sometimes whether the real extent of the "super positive" film supporters' involvement with photography is limited to various online echo chambers?

These are definitely odd times, that is for sure.
What "worries" me as a film person, is the lack of people with a home darkroom of any sort...even a Temporary/Portable darkroom.
My hobby cannot survive because a bunch of young people buy used K1000 and AE-1 from Ebay, but go no further than to scan their HP5
In the future, an "Automobile Renaisance" cannot evolve if the kids do not also buy tires, oil filters, and brake pads.

Good Grief.....i guess have rambled.
Suffice it to say, at 60 years of age, i will probably be able to keep printing for another 10-20 years with SOME availability of paper and chemistry. But i might be wrong about that also. :(

I wouldn’t get too bummed out. Film use is adapting and evolving in what’s plainly a residual market. Hipsters aside, there is a pan-generational core of shooters who keep at it—and keep film on the shelves. Some process and print at home, others process at home but scan negs and get quality inkjet prints done commercially, still others go for commercial process/scan service. Whatever the case, they’re shooting film. They’re also post-processing film-captured digital files regularly. It’s different but not disastrous.

Apparently it's just in Germany; other divisions supposedly aren't affected (see update - second to the last paragraph).

http://emulsive.org/articles/news/tetenal-europe-gmbh-to-reportedly-cease-trading-after-172-years

Japan Camera Hunter seems to have a better understanding of the situation than Petapixel whose articles are rewritten or reposted from elsewhere and aren't necessarily accurate. JCH has a quote from Tetenal UK that addresses 'misleading statements' that were 'unauthorised'.

Film News: A Roller Coaster Ride for Tetenal - Japan Camera Hunter

Apparently it's just in Germany; other divisions supposedly aren't affected (see update - second to the last paragraph).

UPDATE 01: Tetenal Europe GmbH to reportedly cease trading after 172 years | EMULSIVE

Japan Camera Hunter seems to have a better understanding of the situation than Petapixel whose articles are rewritten or reposted from elsewhere and aren't necessarily accurate. JCH has a quote from Tetenal UK that addresses 'misleading statements' that were 'unauthorised'.

Film News: A Roller Coaster Ride for Tetenal - Japan Camera Hunter

So take your pick: misinformation or wishful thinking. Not so sure JCH has clarified much or considered what put Tetenal in the ditch.

At least they quoted a release from Tetenal UK, which seems to be getting it from the horse's mouth instead of other sources.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back