Thank You system?

adamwilliamking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just thinking about the broad critique we get around here.
I mean broad as in, one person will nail every technical aspect of photography and give you whats wrong with yours, well others will just kind of praise photos they think look "cool". Not that one persons is better than the others, because art cannot be good or bad, you can only like it or not like it. Anyways..

I was thinking it would be nice if newer posters (and old) had a way of telling how effective ones suggestions might be.

Than I thought of a way that we could get that across and the only thing I could come up with is a thank you system that I have seen and used on other forums.

Anyone think this might be a good idea?

That way if someone helps you out you can hit their thank you buttom, they are usually displayed in the quick user panel that shows up when you post, so the poster could use that information to kind of take the comment lighter than they might if it was an experienced poster who has already received many thanks.

yay, nah?

We used to have 'reputation points'...or something like that.

It was more of a popularity contest than anything.

you mean like a reputation system?
no no no no no no no

dear powers no just don't let this lot at one - they will all take it way too seriously and then start the repwars - (kind of like world war 3 most times). TFF did have a rep system in the past and it got abused so much the mods and admin removed it.

The only times I have seen a rep system work are:

1) when it was viewed as a bit of fun on one forum - heck some people delibratly asked for bad rep to get the cooler red dots ;)

2) when it was given, but points only awarded after a select group reviewed the post and then awared the award if it was deserved or withheld if it if was not. I did suggest this in the past but it was decided that it would put too much strain on the moderator system and then there were also concerns about who the "elite" group would be and possible backlash against the system ("why don't my posts ever get any rep" etc...)

because art cannot be good or bad...

Oh, there most assuredly can be bad art. The whole party line that art is subjective and can't be judged good or bad is just not true. Nailing two pieces of busted drywall to a gallery wall and posting a price of $1500.00 is not, nor will it every be art. I've seen such a thing installed in a group show, it was just ridiculous, the attending media agreed, along with pretty much everyone that passed by it and stopped to look. I believe the 'artist' still works at a 7-11. :lol:

No voting systems based on who supposedly 'knows' what they're talking about and 'helping' people out. Nothing wrong with helping people, offering tips and technique information and such, helping others. But if you're looking for credit for doing so? No, just a bad idea. :thumbdown:

I was just thinking about the broad critique we get around here.
I mean broad as in, one person will nail every technical aspect of photography and give you whats wrong with yours, well others will just kind of praise photos they think look "cool". Not that one persons is better than the others, because art cannot be good or bad, you can only like it or not like it. Anyways..

I was thinking it would be nice if newer posters (and old) had a way of telling how effective ones suggestions might be.

Than I thought of a way that we could get that across and the only thing I could come up with is a thank you system that I have seen and used on other forums.

Anyone think this might be a good idea?

That way if someone helps you out you can hit their thank you buttom, they are usually displayed in the quick user panel that shows up when you post, so the poster could use that information to kind of take the comment lighter than they might if it was an experienced poster who has already received many thanks.

yay, nah?
I appreciate that your intentions are sincere. If there is someone who really helped you out, you can also hit their "send so & so a PM" button, and take a real moment out of your day to tell them you appreciate their efforts.

The "quick & easy" rep system, as has been stated, gets too easily abused to the point of being meaningless. The old fashioned thank-you note will always convey the right message. :) Just a thought!

Oh, there most assuredly can be bad art.

Opinion

No voting systems based on who supposedly 'knows' what they're talking about and 'helping' people out. Nothing wrong with helping people, offering tips and technique information and such, helping others. But if you're looking for credit for doing so? No, just a bad idea. :thumbdown:

If you comprehended my post properly you would see that the intent was to allow for newer members to "see past the bad advice", because I see users giving out bad, and sometimes the completely wrong advice quite regularly around here.

Anyways, I see what most of you mean.. that most people would turn it into a pissing match.

I
The "quick & easy" rep system, as has been stated, gets too easily abused to the point of being meaningless. The old fashioned thank-you note will always convey the right message. :) Just a thought!

UGH! but thats sooo much workkk :p

The new "Thank You" system is not a rep system, just a quick and easy way to say thanks.

I'm worried now - this lot are far to cynical to have fun ;)

The new "Thank You" system is not a rep system, just a quick and easy way to say thanks.

Which is so obviously just a rep system. I'm already thinking "oh damn, I need to get my thankyou count up!!!!" :lol:

A rose by any other name... :)

yah but at least there is no negative rep - otherwise we could have a proper war

but -- no shiny stars or little green cubes to colllect

yah but at least there is no negative rep - otherwise we could have a proper war

but -- no shiny stars or little green cubes to colllect

Oh... the old system you could give smackdowns on, too? :lol: That rocks.

You know, I really should never be let out of my cage. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back