That glowing skin effect...

AlejandroHernandez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This kind of thread has probably been here before but anyway, I always look at fashion magazines for inspiration and because I love that type of photography, but I've always wondered how can you achieve that effect on the model's skin, it's some kind of glow in it. I think it looks really amazing and I wanted to know if that is something you can get from lighting, retouching, or some product you apply to the skin. I've tried post-processing techniques but with no luck. So if you guys can explain that to me in a better way it'll be great.

Do a search on you tube for makeovers on photoshop. most of them are in fast forward but you can see the concept.

You can get it from lighting. You might try searching at the strobist to see if they have any good ghetto techniques. They usually have some off handed way of doing things. http://strobistblogspot.com

HUGEEEEEE softbox. A nice 6' softbox works wonders.

You can also attain the effect in photoshop.

Soft focus is sometimes used.

I was trying to find out the same thing. It is done in PP. Check out the thread titled "Autumn Wedding" in the Professional Portraits and Wedding Gallery that was originally posted 11/12/07. I think this is what you were looking for. Sorry I don't know how to do the little link thingy to another thread.

@bellavita: i'll check that thread.

By the way my softbox it's small i think. It's 24x24" and i only have 2 monolights (100w/s)

Could you link to an example? There are any number of lighting and processing techniques you could be referring to.

This is no special effect. It's just light.

The first shot is simply a single dead-on softbox from above and angled slightly down. There's a gray background lit with an orange gel and a spot aimed behind the subject.

The second shot is achieved simply by shooting against a white cyclorama lit most likely with some very large umbrellas.

No, I'm not talking about skin smoothing. I have Digital GEM Airbrush for that.
See the first photo i posted, it looks like the guy has oil in his skin.

No, I'm not talking about skin smoothing. I have Digital GEM Airbrush for that.
See the first photo i posted, it looks like the guy has oil in his skin.

1) Ditch the Digital GEM. It's a very bad way to smooth skin.

2) No, it does not look like he has oil on his skin. It looks like there's a single large softbox. Look in his sunglasses if you don't believe me.

This is no special effect. It's just light.

The first shot is simply a single dead-on softbox from above and angled slightly down. There's a gray background lit with an orange gel and a spot aimed behind the subject.

The second shot is achieved simply by shooting against a white cyclorama lit most likely with some very large umbrellas.

Oh ok. So the thing is just light and how i set it up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back