The $100.00 Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyCameraEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mycameraeye.com
There is a good reason why I titled this shot “The $100.00 hundred Dollar Picture” and I wish I could say it was because I sold it for it for that much. Call me foolish if you like and that is not far from the truth. I always see people taking motion blur shots of traffic from above the scene and sometimes dead on but never from below so I decided to rise to the inner challenge and give it a whirl. I found a good intersection that has a center divide curb and when the traffic lights were just right, I ran out there, put my Nikon D70 in a pot hole. (I know I know what the hell was I thinking) Well anyway, I knew a car would not hit it due to its position to the curb but I did not plan on stones, pebbles, rock-salt, or road-grit flying directly at my lens at 60 Mph. The tiffin UV filter on the front of my lens was shattered after the shot and cost $100.00 to replace but the lens was fine and unharmed.

20051219102727_400%20dollar%20picture%20small.jpg

Yikes, tough lesson to learn. I, too, wouldn't have thought of the flying debris. Great shot, though.

you should change your username to 'ihavehugeballs'

cool shot, and something i wouldn't think twice about doing myself. it's only a camera. we're gonna get along just fine at these meet-ups :thumbup:

edit: my UV only cost $30

O My gosh arent you brave!!! I dont think I could do it! Great picture though,, worth the reward!

JonMikal said:

cool shot, and something i wouldn't think twice about doing myself. it's only a camera. we're gonna get along just fine at these meet-ups :thumbup:

edit: my UV only cost $30

Yea, I almost got a pic of you crossing the bridge the other night, but I was too in fear for my own life to worry about you! :lmao:

Scott, that's an awesome shot...I think you just might be crazy enough to stick around the Forum!:lol:

I like this photo, the movement effect is great... the colors are very pleasant. Reason why I can see, makes quite cold;) Greetings from Spain.

Me gusta esta foto, el efecto de movimiento es grande...los colores son muy agradables. Por lo que puedo ver, hace bastante frio ;) Saludos desde España.

jocose said:
Yea, I almost got a pic of you crossing the bridge the other night, but I was too in fear for my own life to worry about you! :lmao:

Scott, that's an awesome shot...I think you just might be crazy enough to stick around the Forum!:lol:

i'm quite the daredevil i'm told. thanks for your concern though :lmao:

awsome shot, maybe it could be done with a bigger median with less damage.

JonMikal said:

is there a mod around who would change his title under the name to that...thats the funniest title yet....

great shot.... scary at the concept....but you got it dude...:thumbup:

man....i got my UV filter for 5 dollars....its Hoya so its not a no name brand...

When your shooting with a 1500.00 Nikkor lens 17-55mm 2.8 ED Glass, you don't exactly put a FIVE dollar filter on the front of it. Also, apparently no one here has any idea what a FAST lens is BECAUSE if you did, you might know that a UV filter for a 77mm lens in either Tiffen, B&W or even Nikon glass that is multi-coated can run you about $100.00. I have one U/V filter that cost me well over 200.00 bucks and thats for my 500mm 2.8 lens. It's as round as a frigging drum. 86mm filters can get costly. I felt the NEED to jusify it being no one knows the costs of REAL filters for REAL lenses.

Jon, yes we will get along great. I hope you come on Sunday. I have been wanting to experiment with some pan blur shots and the earths gravitational pull. Maybe we can toss Jo over the the arlington bridge into the disgusting river and I can shoot away. I better bring my mono pod for this I guess.

Scott :sexywink:

simply amazing! i was just thinkin the same about light trail shots! very out of the box! you're a braver man than i! EXCELLENT work!

Cool shot ! Sorry about the UV filter though, eek.

MyCameraEye said:
When your shooting with a 1500.00 Nikkor lens 17-55mm 2.8 ED Glass, you don't exactly put a FIVE dollar filter on the front of it. Also, apparently no one here has any idea what a FAST lens is BECAUSE if you did, you might know that a UV filter for a 77mm lens in either Tiffen, B&W or even Nikon glass that is multi-coated can run you about $100.00. I have one U/V filter that cost me well over 200.00 bucks and thats for my 500mm 2.8 lens. It's as round as a frigging drum. 86mm filters can get costly. I felt the NEED to jusify it being no one knows the costs of REAL filters for REAL lenses.

Thanks for explaining that. The one downer about the net is reading tones in other peoples posts and one can always read a wrong tone into a post. Having said that, I feel that you might have explained the (obviously necessary ) higher cost of your equipment in a less condescending manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back