The A58 might be the deal of the year...

Beat me to posting here. Hopefully should be confirmed in a few days.

With my A55 warranty anything goes wrong they replace with current model. Kinda hoping that something happens to it once released.

Although I am having out for the A78

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Everyone always says this about the sony stuff, but everyone keeps buying nikon or canon....

Everyone always says this about the sony stuff, but everyone keeps buying nikon or canon....

Because people can't see past a name. Sony's entry level DSLT's walk all over everything in the entry level market.

I'd agree, but people want to use what the pro's shoot.

I'd agree, but people want to use what the pro's shoot.

Not necessarily the name for THAT reason. Sony has been unstable for years. I refuse to buy their products no matter what it is... every sony product I ever purchased was crap or broke way earlier than it should have.

Besides... nikon and cannon are IMAGING and CAMERA companies. They don't make toasters, cd players, dog toys... lol ok a little stretch but you get my point :)

I'm sure they make fine cameras but not for everyone.

Because people can't see past a name. Sony's entry level DSLT's walk all over everything in the entry level market.

I respectfully disagree with you, I had a Sony DSLR (a300) loved it, enjoyed it and when it came time to upgrade the a65 was a natual camera for me to upgrade to, I was ready and willing to pull the trigger when I saw Sony is heavily invested into the transparent mirror technology.
First I was even happier and loved this techology but then I learned it comes with a cost, you are loosing about 1/3rd of a stop due to it and there is no way around it.
This technology has its pro's and con's and depends on the personal users preferances.
For me low light photography is what its all about, while 1/3rd stop doesnt sound like much it is a lot for me and in a sad heart I had to sell all my lenses and move to Nikon, I will be happy in the future to buy Sony if I will see it is in par or leading in low light photography.
This was not a vote agains Sony I simply went with a camera that worked better for me for my specific needs and I think this SLT technology has many people loving it or not loving it, to each his/her own.

Sony makes good cameras and anybody that just stays away from it just because of the name is loosing a good option and potentialy a good camera.

Wall Str. numbers agree with you
bigthumb.gif

[h=1]Sony Corp Lowers Consolidated Full-year Forecast for FY 2013[/h]
Sony Corp (SNE) Key Developments | Reuters.com

Everybody is buying Canon... Nikon's market share is rather small compared to Canon.

nola.ron said:
Not necessarily the name for THAT reason. Sony has been unstable for years. I refuse to buy their products no matter what it is... every sony product I ever purchased was crap or broke way earlier than it should have.

You must be doing something different to the product other than what it was supposed to do.

Besides... nikon and cannon are IMAGING and CAMERA companies. They don't make toasters, cd players, dog toys... lol ok a little stretch but you get my point :)

I guess haven't heard about Nikon electricfan, and Canon refrigerator. lol..
Did you actually think that team who built the TV, cameras, playstation, speakers, etc are the same team? You do know that Sony is one of the largest, if not the largest sensor manufacturer? Even Nikon used sony sensor in most of their cameras. Talks about imaging company lol

Wall Str. numbers agree with you
bigthumb.gif

Sony Corp Lowers Consolidated Full-year Forecast for FY 2013

Sony Corp (SNE) Key Developments | Reuters.com

Here's a better one.
[h=1]Nikon Stock Plummets 19% After Cutting Profit Forecast, Biggest Drop Since 1985[/h]http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/07/nikon-stock-plummets-19-biggest-drop-since-1985/

It's a good deal but for me, no mirror lock up, smaller LCD than my A550 are the deal breakers. Why on earth a 2.7" LCD.....

It's a good deal but for me, no mirror lock up, smaller LCD than my A550 are the deal breakers. Why on earth a 2.7" LCD.....

It has a translucent mirror that is permanently locked in place. No need for mirror lock up because it never moves. A whole different world from the the a550.

Last edited:
You won't use the LCD as much as you'd think with the EVF.

For me low light photography is what its all about, while 1/3rd stop doesnt sound like much it is a lot for me and in a sad heart I had to sell all my lenses and move to Nikon, I will be happy in the future to buy Sony if I will see it is in par or leading in low light photography.
This was not a vote agains Sony I simply went with a camera that worked better for me for my specific needs and I think this SLT technology has many people loving it or not loving it, to each his/her own.

Sony makes good cameras and anybody that just stays away from it just because of the name is loosing a good option and potentialy a good camera.

I recommend that you give the A99 a try; the low light performance is GREATLY improved over the other models... And ISO noise control is very much in check. I posted some months ago a comparisson between the A77 and A99 in low light and high ISO situations... Even at 25,000 ISO, the A99 produced "usable" (noise, but usable) results. While with the A77 I never go over 1,600 ISO, in the A99 you can go quite a lot higher and not have to worry about digital noise...

Most reactions

Back