The beach.. with some technical info

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got back from the beach and got some (imo) good snaps, should really post in the images forum but this forum gets the best visits and discussions. All photos taken at Aperture priority (D90)

Image 1 -
Telephoto lens zoomed quite far in (I'm not sure how far but close to 200mm), the image gave me a lovely blue hue. In post I saturated the blues, then added some browns and reds to the pole the bird is sitting on in PS then sharpened. Also, I'm crap with wildlife, what kind of bird is this? (If it helps this was taken in the south of the UK)
UeDZO.jpg

Image 2 -
The great thing about this beach is every person who has a beach hut has "customised" a small area of the beach, the owner of this hut decided to paint the pillar a different colour. I do not know why. But I thought it stood out quite well. Very quick post processing done to this, lightroom to saturate the colours, PS to resize and sharpen (I think I quickly ran the filter sharpen more as opposed to sharpen, it looks a little excessive).
zvqfE.jpg

Image 3 -
This is my dog Millie, she was so patient, the only reason she was sitting there was because she expected me to throw a stone. This was taken using an SB800 aimed a little left without a diffuser. HSS is a god gift as well, if this would've been taken at 1/200 she would've been far blurrier. The only problem with the flash is that it cast a different colour into the stones as opposed to the natural light. Easy fix for that in post, hello black and white. I then toned down the blues and oranges so Millie really stuck out, added some vignetting using adjustment brushes (all done in Lightroom) then went into PS to resize and sharpen for web.
DuSiw.jpg

Image 4 -
Once again with the "customization" of beach areas, I loved the heart here with the beach as the setting. In post I decided to desaturate all the colours of the beach and up the magenta for the heart so it sticks out. Still not sure on this one.
WEr7s.jpg

Image 5 -
My new favourite post processing technique, exposure blending. This shot was impossible to make in HDR as the window frame (or beach) would've been out of focus. So instead I took two exposures, one metered and focused on the beach, the other on the frame. Painted together using layer masks in PS. saturated and sharpened.
uClhF.jpg

Image 5 -
My new favourite post processing technique, exposure blending. This shot was impossible to make in HDR as the window frame (or beach) would've been out of focus. So instead I took two exposures, one metered and focused on the beach, the other on the frame. Painted together using layer masks in PS. saturated and sharpened.
uClhF.jpg

I guess I don't understand why you couldn't leave the focus on the beach, and expose for both the beach and the window (separately). I am fairly certain it would have worked. You shouldn't need to change your focus to meter for the window. And I feel like it would have a more realistic blur to the window frame. Because as is, it looks a bit fake to me.

The first one is definitely my favorite though. Great blues. I like the one of the dog also, but I feel like the vignette is a bit heavy on the left hand side.

I guess I don't understand why you couldn't leave the focus on the beach, and expose for both the beach and the window (separately). I am fairly certain it would have worked. You shouldn't need to change your focus to meter for the window. And I feel like it would have a more realistic blur to the window frame. Because as is, it looks a bit fake to me.

The first one is definitely my favorite though. Great blues. I like the one of the dog also, but I feel like the vignette is a bit heavy on the left hand side.
I tried that, even at F9 the the pane was still out of focus, I used an 18-55mm set to 18mm, I had no moving space. The frame was to close to the lens to focus in on it without me refocusing the lens.

Well what I am saying is... If you left the focus on the beach, and exposed first for the beach, and then changed your exposure for the window. You could even use a wider aperture too, so that there was blur on the frame from being it slightly OOF. But that's just my opinion.

Well what I am saying is... If you left the focus on the beach, and exposed first for the beach, and then changed your exposure for the window. You could even use a wider aperture too, so that there was blur on the frame from being it slightly OOF. But that's just my opinion.

Yeh I understand what you're saying, I did actually take a couple of bracketed shots to test out in HDR. Looked absolutely horrible, I can post if you'd like.

Yeh I understand what you're saying, I did actually take a couple of bracketed shots to test out in HDR. Looked absolutely horrible, I can post if you'd like.

Yeah, if you don't mind. I just want to see what they look like... Unless you didn't end up fully processing them.

I love the black and white solution to the photo with Millie, that looks great!

Most reactions

Back