The camera did its job

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's an HDR. I think that the HDR aspect is terrific. I just didn't compose all that interesting a shot. Not bad, but not all that good.

LakeMaryHDRcroppedl.jpg

I spent over an hour in one spot and took 60+ shots. Auto-bracketing didn't occur to me until the best light had passed. Alas. My only excuse is that I hadn't had much coffee.

I think the shot looks interesting enough... I like the way you've brought out all the colors both in the foreground and background with HDR...

Nice realistic hdr. As you mentioned in part, the composition is pretty good, but lacking a bit in the foreground. This is where hdr (IMO) gives a break. A little dodging highlights and burning shadows may give some depth to the foreground and make it more interesting.

(per 'ok to edit')
LakeMaryHDRcroppedl-v2.jpg

In the above edit I mostly dodged highlights and burned shadows. Some midground (under the marsh) midtones were burned. Other than that, I darkened the sky and added saturation to the water. Again, in my opinion it brings some interest to the bottom of the shot.

Something I find is fun is to stay out and keep shooting after you think the light is gone. Catch some of the ambient light reflecting off the clouds. Do some longer exposure hdrs- Maybe 5-7 stops. I like taking my sweep-hand watch and go up to 2 minute exposures on bulb. Just something I like to do.

Good work tho. :thumbup:

Granted it's not the most exciting landscape in the world, but I think it has enough attributes that it can stand on it's own. The HDR is very well done.

Vautrin, tirediron, thanks.

abraxas, you greatly improved it, mainly by adding interest to the foreground. I knew that was the major weakness in the shot but the possibility of dodging and burning hadn't crossed my mind.

The additional detail visible in the edit is quite striking. It adds the needed foreground element (IMO)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back