The Canon Canonet

smithdan

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This capable early 60's rangefinder was given to me over four years ago. Seemed like a good choice off the shelf too get back at taking the occasional photo. There's lots written on the web on this one so all I'll say is that the folks at Canon came up with a quality camera with enough features to please even the most dedicated amateur photographer. Luckily, mine still works smoothly after a good dusting and some winding and shutter exersize. The selenium meter is still accurate enough to calculate exposures correctly and the coupled rangefinder system is still close enough to not bother attempting to adjust it.

All dressed up in it's hard case
IMGP3215s.jpg

...the wind/rewind and tripod socket live on the bottom...
IMGP3217s.jpg

leaving the top plate cluttered only by the shutter release, frame counter and the flash thingy.
IMGP3225s.jpg

Altogether a hansome if somewhat large beast.
IMGP3220s.jpg

With some FP4 inside and settings on auto, off we went to bother a group of late 40's Pontiacs sleeping and rusting quietly on a lightly overcast January afternoon.

Cte1-005es.jpg

Cte1-006es.jpg

Cte1-007es.jpg

Cte1-009efxs.jpg

Cte1-016es.jpg

Cte1-008es.jpg

Last edited:
Neat camera. But I'd love to own that Pontiac. :headbang:

This capable early 60's rangefinder was given to me over four years ago. Seemed like a good choice off the shelf too get back at taking the occasional photo. There's lots written on the web on this one so all I'll say is that the folks at Canon came up with a quality camera with enough features to please even the most dedicated amateur photographer. Luckily, mine still works smoothly after a good dusting and some winding and shutter exersize. The selenium meter is still accurate enough to calculate exposures correctly and the coupled rangefinder system is still close enough to not bother attempting to adjust it.

All dressed up in it's hard case
View attachment 263005

...the wind/rewind and tripod socket live on the bottom...
View attachment 263006

leaving the top plate cluttered only by the shutter release, frame counter and the flash thingy.
View attachment 263007

Altogether a hansome if somewhat large beast.
View attachment 263008

With some FP4 inside and settings on auto, off we went to bother a group of late 40's Pontiacs sleeping and rusting quietly on a lightly overcast January afternoon.

View attachment 263009

View attachment 263010

View attachment 263011

View attachment 263013

View attachment 263015

View attachment 263012
Very interesting post! I love how the film advance lever is placed safely away from your eye and the viewfinder. I’ve only seen that on Alpas.

Very interesting post! I love how the film advance lever is placed safely away from your eye and the viewfinder. I’ve only seen that on Alpas.
Actually, on Alpas the lever sprang away from the eye upon release.

Very neat and stylish little camera and good pics as well with plenty of detail, nice.

Thanks for the looks all.

There are three old Pontiacs in this field, chose this one as it is the least rusty and a coupe, as well as more favorably positioned to the light that afternoon.

The end of the wind lever hinges down to catch your left thumb, a little hard to get used to. the job is done however in only a 45 degree sweep - quickly if need be and the camera doesn't have to leave the eye. Interesting though that Canon went back to the right hand upper level in subsequent models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back