I like the shot. It's great that you can just go out anywhere and find a great picture that everyone just walks past and doesn't think anything about it. It's cool that you are trying to catch something that's alive and dead at the same time. I would suggest to get all of the plant in focus so you can see the detail on the green parts too. They look almost ignored even though i doubt that's what you intended. I know it's hard to do much with a built in flash too, messing with the settings to make it weaker or stronger through the menus in your camera to get the right lighting and still never getting exactly what you want. get some kind of an external flash that pivots when you can. i love mine, i got the mid grade canon, the 430ex i think is what it is. they are a little pricey though... depends on your budget but when you can it will open up some pictures you couldn't have taken very easily or at all otherwise. Post more i like your ideas.