THE COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!

LWW

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit winded but bear with me because the story, I hope, ties it all together.

Monday AM I was able to, with an advance tip, go to the Wright Brothers Memorial. The historical significance is that this is the sight of the world's 1st flight school where they would puch you off a cliff and you could sail over Huffman Prairie. Today Huffman Prairie is Wright Patterson Air Force Base.

Over the years i have used this outpost, rarely with anyone else around, to take photos of U2's, SR-71's, and other modern as well as historic aircraft. The USAF Museum is also here so some really cool stuff has came in and out.

Well anyway late Sunday Spaceship One landed for refueling and took off early Monday AM. As a tribute to the pioneering space effort of Spaceship One the museum rolled out one of it's prize possessions, the Wright B Flyer and the flew off together.

I apologize that I could not get the 2 of them together as I did not want to carry a wide angle lens and miss getting closeups, however I hope these will give members an idea of the beauty of seeing the most primitive and most advanced personal aircrafts in the air together was like.

All photos taken with a Nikon F4S 35 mm camera body, Nikon 300 mm f1:4 lens, and Fuji 800 speed film in very early AM light shot at f4 in aperture priority at approx 1/500 shutter speed handheld.

SpaceshipOneJPEG.jpg

IMHO the best shot from the roll.
WrightB.jpg

As it was 100 yrs ago.
SpaceshipOnecircling.jpg

Spaceship One just after takeoff.
WrightBcircling.jpg

The Wright B circling.

LWW

Cool shots. It must have really been amazing to watch .

Most reactions

Back