The Derailer

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A follow-up to a previous post. There were concerns that the tracks didn't lead off to where they should. Is this more interesting?

Ektachrome 160t cross processed as C-41. One stop over exposed. Pentax K1000 50mm/f2.0 lens. C & C welcome.

In this one I don't quite as much SEE the effect of the cross processing, and I somehow miss it just a little. It sure would have added to the photo, I think.

That Ektachrome film that you use ... is it a high ISO film? (Sorry, I know too little about slide film brands and typse). I do see quite a bit of grain ... is that the effect of the cross processing or is it film-inherent?

Why the one stop overexposure? That white thing in the foreground is now almost gleaming ... is that a necessary step to take when you plan to cross process your film?

My questions are genuine.
I really know nothing about the process.

In this one I don't quite as much SEE the effect of the cross processing, and I somehow miss it just a little. It sure would have added to the photo, I think.

That Ektachrome film that you use ... is it a high ISO film? (Sorry, I know too little about slide film brands and typse). I do see quite a bit of grain ... is that the effect of the cross processing or is it film-inherent?

Why the one stop overexposure? That white thing in the foreground is now almost gleaming ... is that a necessary step to take when you plan to cross process your film?

My questions are genuine.
I really know nothing about the process.

True--I'm not sure if xprocessing was the right way to use this film or at least the way to use the shot. Ektachrome is a mid-speed 160 ISO film that is balanced for tungsten lighting. It shouldn't be grainy, but the processing enhances the grain. When you cross-process, it's necessary to over-expose by one stop to enhance color saturation. You get some increas in color but have to worry about blow-out. Get some/lose some :lol:

I missed your first post, sorry. IMO, if you were to change you POV up 6-12" and slightly left, the tracks might flow a little better. They seem flat and not contributing in the upper right. Also not sure about that stuff in the foreground, seems a bit.....unnecessary.

I missed your first post, sorry. IMO, if you were to change you POV up 6-12" and slightly left, the tracks might flow a little better. They seem flat and not contributing in the upper right. Also not sure about that stuff in the foreground, seems a bit.....unnecessary.

Fair enough. I'll go walk the tracks again this weekend...just as long as it's not soul-meltingly hot, though I'm not optimistic. :lol:

I focused on the derailer because I thought it was an interesting thing--I also liked how the lines intersected.

Does the cross-processing (odd, muted colors) add or should I carry a roll of black and white instead?

Most reactions

Back