The Fly - reversed lens macro (6 pics)

Ew, but yet so cool! The last is my favorite. Very nicely executed!

Thanks all, was fun doing it ... and yes, Alison, I am quite partial to the wing-pic, too. Managed to get it quite well into focus (in that small area that COULD get into focus) ... when you think a wing of a fly like that is some 5-6 mm in length...

Thanks for describing this method, I will try this surely!

very sweet photos! a little gross but....

you said you were hand holding the reversed lens? i think reversal rings are pretty cheap and then you can adjust fstop

Thank you all again. The fly as such was a bit gross (I do NOT like these green flies!), but trying the reversed lens technique on it was fun! :D And the wing looks delicate enough to like that pic, I think ... not too much green fly to be seen there :wink: :greenpbl:

reverse lens macro...I'm going to have to try that! My second day here and I'm learning already!

I love this series, the subject matter is irrelevant, what is relevant is the effect and mood you accomplished. The depth of field or lack thereof is a great effect. ..kind of a dreamlike hyper-reality.

Spactacular, really verging on microscopic. you may try cooling them down in the fridge too instead of clapping hands. The wing is my favorite, and i would recomend, unless you are really against loosing any rights over your pictures, adding it to the wikipedia, there are many liciencing systems so you can probably find one that suits you, and then it wont be just these phot buffs that see it but also kids learning for school etc.

Great stuff, i hope you find some other subjects too, something that would suit the dof is ice crystals, you could even make your own on a plane of glass, or pecock feathers, something with mites, eyghhhhhh

tim

As I said, my daughter had it in her cupped hands and clapped those. May have been the air compression or sound or whatever that made the fly quite dazed and "k.o" ... Else there would not have been ONE chance to photograph this in this method.
But it remained alive.
Later it flew away from the spot.

I've done something similar with a wasp.
Caught it in a film canister and popped it in the freezer for about 2minutes. It slows the wee guy down and he can't fly until he's warmed up again. He stayed stock still on a sheet of white paper meaning i could set my aperture to f maximum and used close up filter lenses.
The DOF was then at the maximum and i could get an exposure of around 6-8 seconds that was pin sharp.
EASY!
:)

EDIT - here's my image

Very nice LaFoto!! I like 5 & 7 the best.

I may have to try that trick on eof these days.

Cheers

Very interesting shots and some great detail. And a very creative technique I might add. Bravo! :thumbup:

impressive! that is certainly more than my 300mm with a close up lens can do ;)

I guess many tries were needed?

Most reactions

Back