The full photoshop help thread - discussion

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok been thinking about this sort of project of a while and time to get it started - many of us can post process a shot and get it to look good at 1000pixles - sharp, noise free and all, but life is not all the internet and not all 1000pixels long. Full sized editing is a different world, and few can afford the time and money to go on a proper course to learn all the ins and outs - so here is the project:

The idea is simple - every three days (from today hopefully)) a single person is selected (more on this later) and their photo is edited by any that choose to edit the photo - however the photo is not a resize or a crop, but the full original photo, unedited. This can be a full sized JPEG or a RAW of the shot which can either be uploaded and linked to an off site location to allow access or people can pm the individual with their e-mails and the photo sent through e-mail to those that wish to help.

Those that choose to help can then edit the shot and sent back the results - opening this to the community means that there is a good chance that more than one person will help and thus give their own view and methods of editing. Results (crops/resizes of course) can be posted back in the thread for others to see and comment on as well.

Of course for this to work those willing to edit must reply to the photographer not only with the results but also how they got their - that means a full breakdown of work flow and specific settings used - saying "I boosted contrast a little" is not good enough as it is not defined - how much is 'a little'? Better is "I boosted contrast by 10" thus allowing the original photographer to emulate the editing process and thus see how the different components adjusted the shot to gain the final result.

As learning and advancing is a key part of this I also urge the photographer contributing the photo to give an idea of not only their level of editing skill, but also to state what programs they have access to - thus allowing people to take that into consideration when editing the shot. I also urge the photographer not to post their own view of the shot to start with, but rather to leave the field open to others to interpret the shot and what they would do with it.

The selection process is simple - pm me and you get added to the list which then works through one at a time in order (first come first served); every 3 days I put up a new thread for the next person on the list. The reasoning for 3 days is so as this is quicker moving project than once a week, but also so that there are a few days for people to edit and respond to an individual before another thread appears (since many that opt to help in such a way often like to keep helping others).

Once the person is added I also urge those willing to post in that persons thread both at the start and once they have sent the results - this is so as if a person gets no help at all by the time the 3 day limit is up they get another 3 days (ie another go) before the next person is selected - giving them a chance at having some help

This is not designed as a "help me with this shot" project, but more a wider view of different editing methods and workflows.

Well there is the suggestion for the project I would be very interested in people thoughts and views on this - as well as an idea of any that would be willing to help in this. Of course there will be times that people cannot help since different shots require different skills - landscapes are not cars and cars are not models or portrates.

ahem - there has to be some more people who visit this section ;)
anyone else willing to support this idea?

I actually really like this idea. I have Photoshop 7 and a book on how to use it which is extremely helpful but there is a whole lot to learn in Photoshop and I'd love to see other photographers "interpretations".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back