The funkiest photo shoot I've ever done...

michael9000000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On Mardi Gras, I went to shoot my friend's BIG band (up to 10 musicians at once) playing at a small cafe in Norfolk, VA. The whole setup was a total train wreck... There were microphones and cables everywhere, plus the PA speakers and monitors. I had only a small path directly in front of the stage, and no room for a tripod. The stage was about the size of a postage stamp, the walls were painted bright yellow and purple, and the only source of lighting I had was the band's LED strip lighting that alternated between blue, green, red, and violet... I decided to ditch my speed light, slap on my 50 mm 1.8, and go on a mystical trip... Needless to say, this was the funkiest photo shoot I've ever done. Check it out... C&C are always welcome...

$IMG_1252.jpg$IMG_0986.jpg
$IMG_0941.jpg$IMG_1060.jpg$IMG_0983.jpg$IMG_0946.jpg
$IMG_1014.jpg$IMG_1271.jpg

They look just fine for a band shoot, and why would you bring a tripod for that anyway?

They look just fine for a band shoot, and why would you bring a tripod for that anyway?

Thanks for the compliment. I usually bring a tripod to a live music gig, even though I rarely actually need or want to... I've just found that a lot of live music venue owners around here don't seem to care if there's enough light provided to actually see the band... Likewise, some bands don't mind playing in the dark...

Par for the course...but unless you're shooting video, what would the tripod do for shooting action in low light?

Sw1tchFX said:
Par for the course...but unless you're shooting video, what would the tripod do for shooting action in low light?

Sometimes I like motion blur on my subjects (i.e. the guitarist's strumming hand) and a crystal clear background... I can't always get a hand-held shot that steady, especially at slower shutter speeds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back