The ghetto DIY photography stuff thread.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On the tail end of my homemade softbox thread there's been a suggestion to start a thread full of all sorts of home made equipment.

So here it is. If you have made something homemade to add to your camera, it doesn't matter if you even homemade the camera itself, post it here and if you can details of the device and link to example images. I think this would be a great way to help the people on a budget.

Small softbox:
DSC_5180.jpg

Example photograph: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/Garbz01/junk/DSC_1074-1.jpg?t=1187058452
Makes a very soft light for the size. Made out of cardboard trapazoids, the insides lined with aluminium foil, and the front covered with a really thin sheet of paper.

Bigger bouncard:
DSC_5195.jpg

Example photograph: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/483807189_65bdc080d7.jpg
Now this is fantastic. A fong lightsphear without the stupid price. I use this at weddings. It's just a sheet of inkjet paper. At first it was rubber banded on but then to get a more "professional" look I velcroed it onto the flash. This goes with me everywhere in my bag and gets used a lot.

Reflector:
DSC_5196.jpg

Example Photograph http://farm1.static.flickr.com/222/486068627_d625ec74d6.jpg
A sheet of cardboard with some aluminium foil on the front. The backside also has white paper stuck on for the multipurpose requirements. There's not too much saving here though since a cheap reflector can be had on ebay for $15

Softbox/Shade screen:
DSC_5198.jpg

Example Photograph: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/Garbz01/junk/DSC_1294-Edit.jpg
Now at first I was going to make a softbox using a white sheet and a real estate for sale sign, and it does act like one outside, but this now also doubles as a translucent shade screen, and if you put it inside and fire the flash from behind it the spill light gives one of the softest single light sources I have ever seen.

Ring Flash:
DSC_5201.jpg

Example Photograph:http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/Garbz01/junk/DSC_5205.jpg
The newest addition to my rig. I haven't had the chance to use it on something decent yet but it does work quite well on small macro. It halos a bit more on one side than the other but hey it's made of a circle of cardboard / alfoil, two rings on the outside made of aluminium foil, and a sheet of paper on the top. It is ... fragile at best. There are much better ones out there.

Next on the cards for me is a multipurpose flash trigger for sound light or electrical triggering. Should get some highspeed photography going soon. Also on the cards pending having decent income is a DIY stuido strobe made of 60000uf capacitors, xenon tubes, 3kV triggers, and a yet to be decided upon control system.

Ok post away, keep images small please :D

This has to be one of the most useful threads I've seen, and that's with only one post. Look forward to see what others can add too. Great stuff!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here's my contribution - one soft box

softbox.jpg

Made from an old Xerox printer box, a little balsa for stiffening, a couple of cans of white paint and some drafting film. Makes for shots like this one...

pickups0000.jpg

I need to work a little on my lighting, but not a bad start

easier to bend yes, but will it still support the old 80-200 then ;) I saw something of a similar effect but different application. Basically they were using copper wire, but long ones to allow you to wrap it around poles and mount a camera on something rather than stand it on a tripod.

Nice work :)

DSC_5206.jpg

What is it? A sound based trigger for a flash. I haven't given it a test shot yet owing to the fact that I used a high quality and not very sensitive frequency measurement microphone so nothing short of taking the thing and banging it against something hard triggers it as yet, but it's coming along quite well :D

DSC_5206.jpg

What is it? A sound based trigger for a flash. I haven't given it a test shot yet owing to the fact that I used a high quality and not very sensitive frequency measurement microphone so nothing short of taking the thing and banging it against something hard triggers it as yet, but it's coming along quite well :D

Interesting. What was your motivation to build this?

Boredom. I'm an electrical engineer. I saw the circuit on DIYPhotography and though damn I actually have all those parts on my desk RIGHT NOW. :lol:

Once I get the mic sensitivity figured out I may try breaking something. I found out the hard way a while back that lightbulbs are pressurised so maybe belting one with a hammer would be a good start. The OP originally used this circuit to photograph shooting things like fruits or glasses and such things.

Wow. I like this thread!!!

I know what I'll be doing on my next days off : D

Here is a great site, for this type of thing.

http://www.diyphotography.net/

Great. I was on that site a month ago, and lost the link, searched all over. Now you posted a link to it. Thanks!

I'm at work (my #2 job) so I can't post any projects right now. But I have two questions.

1) Where do I find Xenon flash tubes? I'm looking for industrial size, not little tiny ones. I have some strobe heads and the tubes are going back, I want to replace both at the same time, possibly make a light triggered slave out of another one of them.

(prequil response, since I added this after, the following post) I'll try the site and see. These aren't that unusual. It's a standard tube socket, with the bulb soldered into it, not a special bulb base. I think the same model light now uses a horseshoe shaped bulb, which may make no difference.

2) Anyone know why I went to Home Depot and bought the 99c Green Clamps? I can't find that website again. :lol:

I'll post some pictures of DIY photo projects tonight.

1) go into the DIY strobe article at diyphotography.net and follow the links to a site where one guy sells the supplies for it. Talk to him and see if he has what you need.

There's the old bungee ball trick to get an off camera flash to be held on to railings, tree branches, outdoor lamp poles, etc...

9" bungee balls are available off Amazon for prices like 15 bucks for 5, or something like 19.00 for 50 of them. I've yet to find them locally anywhere in Montreal, though... still looking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back