The great Holga/Konica infrared experiment

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So....it sort of worked, although these should probably go under the Bloopers forum. :wink: Konica 750 IR, in my Holga, on a tripod with #25 red filter. And I popped off that shutter release cable as fast as I could. :p So, here's the question: do I try a more opaque red filter next time, or would a neutral density over the red work just as well?

normal_bridge1.jpg

normal_bridge2.jpg

Since I know nothing about holgas/konicas and your photoggin' is usually fairly crisp, i am guessing that this camera/film type is a bit different from from what you usually do?. They seem a bit blurry to me but it could be the scan.

The contrast is really high on these, i figured out it was a bridge on the second one but on the first one it looks like gravestones, goth gurl. I really love the infrared leaves in #2 (except for the shrubbery in front of the bridge). The last one is pretty cool though 8)

I guess I should ask, did you have anything in mind whilst taking these shots, are was this just an experiment to see how miss holga and mister konica would get it on during their first date?

Poor terri :( 29 views and no replies. EDIT: looks like vonnagy beat me to it.

I don't know what to suggest on the filter. I've never done infrared (even though you bug me all the time to try it out) It's tough to do infrared here with the high heat.

The IR effect is pretty cool. I like the 2nd one best. Now go find one of those cool old houses in hotlanta and shoot some more :)

terri said:
So, here's the question: do I try a more opaque red filter next time, or would a neutral density over the red work just as well?
I don't know anything about Holgas but wouldn't a neutral density filter just make it even darker unless you compensate for it? Although it would help you tame some of the really bright areas. What's the effect you are trying to go for?

I like how the first one gives a tunnel like effect in that the picture seems to be streaking towards the center. Or maybe I just like your streaking effects in general. :wink:

The second one has more of a vignetting effect and some losted details, but it has a nice haunting effect to it. I agree with von about the IR effect on the leaves.

Well.....yeah. I thought by using the word "experiment" I was being clear, but maybe not. :p

K, it's just an image of this cute little stone bridge in a nearby park, on a sunshiny day with dense shade around. Challenge #1. :roll:

YES - I was only trying to see if an image was even possible using this S-L-O-W Konica IR film (rated at 50) in a toy camera with a set shutter speed of 100 and very little in the way of controls. I could have stepped outside my house and shot anything, but I thought if I was in a park setting I would get more foliage, the better to test those IR effects.

SO - yeah, I actually got a couple of images (the rest of the roll is pretty unusable, I was too slow with the shutter release cable). The images even have the outer vignetting that the Holga is known for (what you called "streaking" effect, Haarper). I thought it was a pretty good first try. Oh, and my husband commented on the "grayness" of the film in the darkroom, too (it expired 2/04) so that didn't do anything to help. Someone mentioned the high contrast; Konica is a pretty contrasty film, with a tight grain.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion at this point as to which might help it along: the more opaque red filter, or the neutral density. :scratch:

My only aim is to be able to use the Holga, with those (I think, anyway) nifty Holga effects, with IR film, since HIE is not an option, and my husband's face takes on a strange expression when I start playing with his Rolleiflex. :wink:

I guess I should ask, did you have anything in mind whilst taking these shots, are was this just an experiment to see how miss holga and mister konica would get it on during their first date?

That pretty much sums it up, sweetie.... I think a second date is in order, with fresher film and some other filter combo. If I HAVE to drag ass back to Oakland Cemetery I suppose I will. :D

I like the second one. It has great contrast and gives you a feeling like you are looking into someones dream. Nice job. :D

Good results! I never shot IR. The contrast is interesting and very Holga. Technically you may only need to get more highlight detail. On the second attempt I would try a different time of day. Maybe even a partly cloudy day. Since you shot 1 roll with the red filter you know what to expect. Obviously that will produce better results in the next attempt.

Thanks Craig!! :D

Orie, I've been waiting for you to chime in, girl, since I know you appreciate the challenges.

How'd yours come out?? Can you tell by the negs? I pray your film was fresher than mine. :? Post soon and we'll have to compare notes!

I think my film expired 2/04 too! I think that's why it was cheap and I bought it... my negs don't look great... maybe a frame or two... I didn't use a red filter, so that will probably make a big difference in my effects. I was riding my bike and I didn't want to worry about dropping it, since it didn't fit the cam...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back