Most of the cost is in the sensor.
And it's a pay to play world. Either go used and live with it or go back to film.
I think there's a just middle!
I understand that you get for what you pay but still it is new technology and I expect the full format to decrease significantly in price in the next 3 years, it's always the same story with consumer electronics and size will follow.
The M9 points in the right direction indeed, Leica has shown that it's possible to squeeze a 24x36 in a reasonably sized camera, of course it's at a premium because it's Leica with all that goes with it, but I believe it is just the beginning and there will be a growing demand for smaller 24x36 DSLR as people won't want to carry those current monsters around their necks for ever, especially once the honey moon is over...