Z9 User - My 3 Month Thoughts

regionphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.regionphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting the Z9 now for 3 months and thought I'd give a brief overview of using it in the real world.

1. Never thought I'd want or use a 45MP camera, but the HE* setting give me file sizes of a 24MP camera with no loss of quality.
2. Upside of 45MP is I occasionally enjoy cropping in (got stuck in the back of Notre Dame shooting an event so this was helpful to "get close" when a 70-200 fell short).
3. The downside of 45MP is there is noticeably more noise at ISO 8000 and above.
4. All of the AF claims are true for this camera. I photograph people for portraits and events so not the biggest challenge but the eye AF does come in handy at times and is accurate.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm new here but will tray to check back.

I've attached a few images. The wedding one is at VERY HIGH ISO and the grain is very film like but still not as clean as the former Nikon flagships like D5, etc.

Attachments

• lu-hi-rise0004.jpg
    lu-hi-rise0004.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 39
  • MD-notre-dame-wedding0167.jpg
    MD-notre-dame-wedding0167.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • library-loft0005.jpg
    library-loft0005.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 37
I mainly shoot nature / wildlife / birds and have been using both a D850 FX 45.7mp and D500 DX 20.9mp up until my Z9 arrived about 6 weeks ago. My keeper rate has gone up significantly, which I attribute to IBIS and the AF system with animal eye tracking. I shoot raw, HE* as well, but since I am use to dealing with the D850 lossless compressed files, it's not an issue for me. As far as noise goes, I see very little difference between the Z9 and D850. I'm OK out to about ISO 1600, but will go out to 6400 if needed. Usually, noise is more noticeable in shadows, which can be selected and masked in PhotoShop then apply Topaz DeNoise AI, which cleans it right up. So far, I picked up a 70-200 f/2.8 S as well as an 85 mm f/1.8 S. Both are stellar lenses, but my F-mount telephotos are working well on the Z9 using the FTZ II adapter. In fact, I think they focus a bit quicker and lock better with the Z9 compared to the D850 and D500.

Enjoy your Z9. It's a truly amazing piece of technology and it has put Nikon back in the game.

I do love the camera!

I too have Denoise AI but with so many images at weddings and multiple weddings at that it does disrupt the workflow.

I’m not that bothered by it though and this time of year simply has crappy light inside and out.

It’s just those church weddings where I can’t control the light that get me.

Enjoy that nature shooting. I do quite envy that.

Steve

Most reactions

Back