The Moon...

Personally, I think the contrast is a bit flat. The sky isn't truly black (in the 8-15 range), and the highlights aren't much past 200.

Use the Curves or Levels tool to add some zip to it. At least I would.

Excellent! Wish I could manage that. Here's my latest attempt, taken on the 5th of November...it was a bit surreal, given that it was Guy Fawkes night; so attempting to set the camera up whilst everybody in the area was setting off fireworks was decidedly odd.
P1010542.jpg

Excellent! Wish I could manage that. Here's my latest attempt, taken on the 5th of November...it was a bit surreal, given that it was Guy Fawkes night; so attempting to set the camera up whilst everybody in the area was setting off fireworks was decidedly odd.View attachment 149275
Not bad. What did you use?

There is a lot dynamic range between the ancient dark mare and the much newer bright impact craters.
The wide dynamic range of the moon makes it a challenge to set the exposure.

When the moon is full there are minimal shadows, which give moon surface features definition and depth/height.
In other words, photos of the full moon lack the kind of definition and detail that can be obtained making photos of the moon when it is only partially lit.
The most definition is seen along the terminator (day/night transition zone).

Using ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) I added half a stop of exposure (+0.50 EV) and boosted the contrast (+30).
I also added +40 of Clarity (mid-tone contrast) and +30 of Vibrance.
Note: Adding mid-tone contrast (Clarity) tends to provide a detail sharpening effect and an increase in overall contrast.
38132152876_4538506071_oEdit.jpg

Excellent! Wish I could manage that. Here's my latest attempt, taken on the 5th of November...it was a bit surreal, given that it was Guy Fawkes night; so attempting to set the camera up whilst everybody in the area was setting off fireworks was decidedly odd.View attachment 149275
Not bad. What did you use?
Lumix G80 (I think it's marketed elsewhere as the G85) and the 100-400mm lens lumix/panasonic/leica...it has all three names on it.

There is a lot dynamic range between the ancient dark mare and the much newer bright impact craters.
The wide dynamic range of the moon makes it a challenge to set the exposure.

When the moon is full there are minimal shadows, which give moon surface features definition and depth/height.
In other words, photos of the full moon lack the kind of definition and detail that can be obtained making photos of the moon when it is only partially lit.
The most definition is seen along the terminator (day/night transition zone).

Using ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) I added half a stop of exposure (+0.50 EV) and boosted the contrast (+30).
I also added +40 of Clarity (mid-tone contrast) and +30 of Vibrance.
Note: Adding mid-tone contrast (Clarity) tends to provide a detail sharpening effect and an increase in overall contrast.
View attachment 149306
That looks much better!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back