The new era ?!

I would like to see a camera that is both a 35mm and a digital camera
A 35mm back on a digital camera....... Oh the irony :D

Digital to me is like 35mm compared to medium and large format. Not too popular when it first came out but it had it's advantages over large format to the mass consumer market. Digital has so much potential but it's still in its infancy stages. With the image sensors being as small as they are right now it reminds me of the 110 format and the Kodak disc film. A format fad that died away just like Beta.

Digital still needs to elvolve to atleast 35mm sensor sizes before it starts offering more to the mass consumer in the way of readily available top quality at an affordable price.

I've said it before that each film type is a personality. There are plug-ins currently availble for photoshop to simulate these films. That's the next step I see happening in the mass market of things until those of us that used film in the past are dead and gone and unable to mindlessly babble the pros and cons on the internet.

Digital to me right now is just another film type like Velvia, T-Max, or whatever with some serious exposure latitude. To get a desired effect you have to apply something to it. Whether it be an Ilford HP5 simulator (PS layer) or a fine grain, super saturated, color transparency filter. What happens when everyone shooting digital someday stops and asks "What's Fuji Velvia?". That's when film will be part of the past......................

StvShoop said:
and an mp3 player inside too
so you can listen to music while you wait for the perfect shot to come

mp3 is ancient.....talk about XM Satellite Radio :D

Do all the film geeks here develop the film on your own or let the studio do the work?

danalec99 said:
Luminosity said:
Soulreaver said:
But sometimes it isn't the destination that counts the most, it's the trip.
Taking a pic just so, and then bring it to the paper is a reward in itself for me.I cant wait till I learn things like split toning and others way to enhance the result, and do it all by myself.

My sentiments exactly :sillysmi:

Digital has its place , its convenient , fast etc etc. I'm not saying I'll NEVER get one.
The love-affair with film is hard to beat , however ...
IMO , its akin to being hungry and either picking up McDonalds at a drive-thru or going home and spending time making a delicious , satisfying roast dinner....
Both meals will achieve the same end result ( hunger sated ) but I know which one I'D savour the most ..... ;)

Sometimes I wanna get on a gigantic megaphone and tell everyone
"Slowwwwwwwwwww downnnnnn people !!!
Whats ya HURRY ! ?
Savour the ride a little ! "

:p ;)

I think each era has its medium of savoring the 'ride'.

When our kids grow, I'm sure there will be 'oldies' recollecting the good ole' days of Photoshop :)
Hey Luminosity, liked the analogy ( especially the part about roast) :)

Of course, to each his own.And I dont mean to put down digital, you can do some amazing images with a camera and then passing it through photoshop.But it still isn't up to film.MF digital cameras are very expensive, and they are somewhat slow, or so I have read.

But there will come a time when ppl will be able to take 3D snapshots which will be impressed directly into their brains for navigating, as Ksmatfish says, I do not doubt it.
But not yet.

And I am a software analyst, so doing something with my own hands instead of through a program I didn't even write is rewarding.
I hope I will still be able to develop and print when I am old and gray, and cant do much else :wink:

danalec99 said:
StvShoop said:
and an mp3 player inside too
so you can listen to music while you wait for the perfect shot to come

mp3 is ancient.....talk about XM Satellite Radio :D

Hehehe, perhaps it could throw in a cup of coffee for those relaxed moments.
Technology never ceases to amaze me.

danalec99 said:
Do all the film geeks here develop the film on your own or let the studio do the work?

Lol, except for my enthusiasm I cant be considered a film geek , as I only started developing and printing very recently.But I quite liked it so Ill be doing the work myself.

This thread will make fun reading 5-10 years from now.

What I think is so ironic is that all the people who are saying that film is the best, will never die, digital is just a fad, etc., are the same ones who spend hours scaning in their photos in order to archive them to CD, so they can post them here(!), or so they can email them to their friends. This usually includes things like an apology for the "bad scan" (that was even worse before they touched it up with their graphics program) and "the original looks much better".

My point is you film people have already "gone digital" whether you want to face the fact or not.

Goofup said:
My point is you film people have already "gone digital" whether you want to face the fact or not.

Absolutely. My market specialization is hand printed BW photographs (portraits and weddings), but this year I will actually make more money selling usage rights of my images, and the client wanted fairly low res files. They never would have found me without the files on my website. On the other hand, they were interested in my images because of their traditional film look. I find it kind of ironic that I go to the trouble and expense of using MF and LF gear, and I have many clients who are very happy about that, but in the end I make much more money selling image files that are lower res than my wife's 3mp point-n-shoot.

And now there is a big, fat check on the way, and I have to admit, I've been looking over the DSLRs. I was very tempted to go with A D70, but in the end, I decided that me and the DSLRs aren't ready just yet. I'll get a film scanner for my MF and LF and wait a few more years. I have a lot of fun using my creaky, old mechanical cameras, and that probably influences my images; the only way I can imagine giving up film is if they can install digi sensors in my old cameras :D

Goofup said:
This thread will make fun reading 5-10 years from now.

What I think is so ironic is that all the people who are saying that film is the best, will never die, digital is just a fad, etc., are the same ones who spend hours scaning in their photos in order to archive them to CD, so they can post them here(!), or so they can email them to their friends. This usually includes things like an apology for the "bad scan" (that was even worse before they touched it up with their graphics program) and "the original looks much better".

Well we could always invite forum members around to each of our homes to view our shots and to get feedback and tips ...or post em out
but that might be a tad difficult & time consuming ( not to mention expensive) ;).
Who has said "film is the best" ," will never die" , "digital is just a fad" ?
I gather you're speaking in loose, general terms ( in relation to viewpoints ) but from what I've read so far on THIS discussion , film lovers are conceding that digital is a good thing and will only expand and improve in the market...
Just that THEY prefer film and get more enjoyment out of it and theres a place for both...
Nothing hipocritical or ironic about that :thumbsup:
Yep , I'll scan in shots when I see fit , to get feedback and advice. Maybe I'll tinker with the pics in PS. That'll be a good tool ! I'll probably even get a digital somewhere down the road and use that every now and again.
My enchantment is with film tho , and eventually learning to develop my own film....

oh the horror! A Digital vs. Film thread that I missed out on!

My Dad told me 10 years ago that I'd never fill up my 70mb hard drive in my lifetime

lol, funny that my average psd file is prolly 70mb :)

Digital has its place , its convenient , fast etc etc. I'm not saying I'll NEVER get one.The love-affair with film is hard to beat , however ...
IMO , its akin to being hungry and either picking up McDonalds at a drive-thru or going home and spending time making a delicious , satisfying roast dinner....Both meals will achieve the same end result ( hunger sated ) but I know which one I'D savour the most .....

Sometimes I wanna get on a gigantic megaphone and tell everyone
"Slowwwwwwwwwww downnnnnn people !!!
Whats ya HURRY ! ?
Savour the ride a little ! "

Lol, i am going to whole heartedly disagree with that analogy lumi. There was thread awhile a back mattfish wrote about how he loves developing film with jazz in the background (or was that dead kennedy's?) and getting into the rhythm of his art.

Damn, when I see a digital print I like, I really slow down take my time to craft it, the same as I would to take the shot. Sure there are digital whores out there and the output can be out faster - but that would be same as taking your film to a 1 hour photo lab.

All I can say is there is a 'slow art' to digital processing. I strive to make my photos look as striking as possible and it ain't simple work, I just spent the last 4 hours working on just 6 photographs, and I am taking my time listening to some wonderfully cheesey 80's beats. Its taking me quite sometime to achieve the level where its hard to tell if my photos have been digitally manipulated (though i just use old school technique in pshop, alot of burning and dodginess :p).

Well, digital may still be a hamburger, but mine ain't mcdonalds. Mines a home grilled half kilo slab o' cow, with beets, onions, fried eggs, pineapple on a warm toasted sesame bun from a German bakery. And I am gonna eat it really slooowly....

*goes back outside to attend to the grill*

oh...
*bonks self on head*
they had me convinced digital was bad, vonnagy... but yeah, i spend time like that too!
i guess it's still true that there isn't a medium that will churn out art without consious and time consuming human effort.

i'll quote myself, if that's allowed
StvShoop said:
i keep seeing this commercial on tv for a kid's marker set. i think it's called the ROC writer. somewhere in there, the infomercial zombie says "you'll be able to create great art in no time!". and i think "yes, how wonderful that art production by children will be increased, i can't wait to see the new rates at which the inventories are filled..."

three colors in one pen equals three times the coloring, not three times the art :eek:

People still bind books by hand and practice blacksmithing. No matter how popular digital gets, traditional photography will always be around. I do think it won't be much longer before digital takes over for most photographic duties, however.

The switchover is happening very fast on the consumer level. Most pro photojournalists I know of have switched, whether they wanted to or not. Many wedding photographers have. Filmstock for motion pictures is another important business for Kodak, and that's drying up as digital theaters are starting to spread.

I see poor highlights and limited dynamic range as small technical shortcomings in a field that is still very young. It won't be long in the grand scheme of things before these are overcome.

I'm 36, and the idea of a computer in the home was not a common concept when I was young, and certainly not a reality, let alone in a camera. I had my first computer in the early 80's, and it did a few different shades of green. 10 years ago, a digital camer would have cost several times more than my car. Think of how far they have come in such a short time. And the curve isn't linear, either. Look at just the past 5 years.

Traditional film work won't being disapearing anytime soon, if ever, but I see digital just becoming more and more popular, expecially as kids raised in the era of pocket electronics start buying cameras. If the majority of new cameras sold isn't already digital, it will be very soon. Within the next five years, my guess is that the quality of prosumer cameras (like the 10D and N70 now) will be beating MF. I can't image what we will have in ten.

What I wish is that people could enjoy their own choice without having to put down the other. Those who work traditionally are not closed-minded dinsaurs who fear the future and unable to keep up, just as those who work with digital are not artless hacks looking for a quick fix. I get pissed off seeing either suggestion. Doing what you like doesn't mean that the other path is wrong. There are better ways to justify a person's choice.

markc said:
What I wish is that people could enjoy their own choice without having to put down the other. Those who work traditionally are not closed-minded dinsaurs who fear the future and unable to keep up, just as those who work with digital are not artless hacks looking for a quick fix. I get pissed off seeing either suggestion. Doing what you like doesn't mean that the other path is wrong. There are better ways to justify a person's choice.

way to go man, i'm with that 100%

markc said:
Filmstock for motion pictures is another important business for Kodak, and that's drying up as digital theaters are starting to spread.

i believe almost all theaters still use film. i think there's some kind of combined digital sound technology that goes with the film video, but there's issues about moving to digital video. the main one is that theaters would have to junk all their old equipment and buy all new stuff, that's a huge price to pay for what will probably be a barely noticable increase in picture quality.
the movie companies are trying to get theaters to buy the digital equipment. many computer gamers are used to 50-120fps, but for movies, 30fps still looks "real" enough.

Most reactions

Back