The North Germany TPF Meet-Up in May 2008

Oh yes. Please! :D

Und Sie dachten, dass MEIN Deutsch schlecht war ...

Long live Babel Fish - I'm bringing my computer with me !

Becky said:
and that attendance of all handsome TPF males was compulsory! :lmao:
I think thats fair... :blushing:

Hmm. cannot help it but I feel excluded now ;)

fightheheathens said:
all you need to know is

"ein Bier bitte"

That is pretty much all a Welsh friend of mine learned during his stay in Germany ;) Oh OK, he also knew "Ein Pilztöpfchen bitte" to order his favourite pub grub ;)

... he actually did survive with that much German for almost 2 years!

For as long as you get your food and drink .... what more do you need?
And keep in mind: you are coming to where I am.
I am a trained translator. If need be, I could (possibly) be of help, like if you don't like beer and would much rather order something else ;). Just for example, you know? :biggrin:

how do you say.. "which way is it to Davidstraße ? "

HeeHeeHeeeHeeeee

fightheheathens said:
all you need to know is

"ein Bier bitte"

More like: "Zwanzig Biere bitte! *hic*"

:lmao:

My German sucks... extremely badly. I seem to recall my last attempt at a conversation went something like this in a sandwich shop:

me: was ist das?
shopkeeper: das ist Schweinefleisch
me: was Schweinefleisch ist
shopkeeper: das Fleisch eines Schweins, du dummes Engländer
me: Ein Sandwich bitte
shopkeeper: 20 Mark bitte
me: Verkaufst du Bier?
shopkeeper: Weggehen!

Apologies for grammar/spelling/accuracy... but you get the gist.

Rob

I would love to come to Germany again. It's been a few years since my last visit, but I always loved it so much. I "lived" in Köln for 3 months one year, using it as home base to tour Europe from. I got to know Berlin fairly well also.

I'll do my best to make it happen in 08 :)

fightheheathens said:
might i also suggest a trip down the Rhein (like by Koeln and Bonn and further south...Koblenz) With all the castles and stunning drops into the river in the Rhein Valley, i think people could find lots of places to take pictures....plus i could get a koelsch

AMEN :) I haven't had a kölsch in years.

You should, Matt. You should! :D
And hey, I love to read all your German here. And the experiences you had with it, though that person in the shop there (a "sandwich-shop"? What is a "sandwich-shop"?) was quite, quite rude to you. I apologise - even now. That was not nice of him to say! No!
Even though, in case you'd by then already had your zwanzig Biere, Rob, you might have been on the brink of misbehaviour yourself, too????? :scratch: (groan: zwanzig Biere ... I'd DIE!)

LaFoto said:
You should, Matt. You should! :D
And hey, I love to read all your German here. And the experiences you had with it, though that person in the shop there (a "sandwich-shop"? What is a "sandwich-shop"?) was quite, quite rude to you. I apologise - even now. That was not nice of him to say! No!
Even though, in case you'd by then already had your zwanzig Biere, Rob, you might have been on the brink of misbehaviour yourself, too????? :scratch: (groan: zwanzig Biere ... I'd DIE!)
I had been fully aquainted with Lowenbrau by that point... I'd just mastered "was ist das?" and was probably over-using it in a repetitive way as well. It was a sandwich shop / delicatessen thing... and they didn't sell beer to go with your sarnies! Wasn't my fault, I'd done four countries and seven currencies in two days and I managed to get told off in all of them (except France, cos my French is super l33t). For some reason the Belgians took a massive dislike to me - not my fault their daft country has(had) four languages, three currencies and incomprehensible ATMs!

Tip: Don't order a coffee in the French language in Belgium... they get proper narked off.
Tip: For some reason they didn't like "high" German in Bavaria! :S (I don't even know what high German is... presumably they speak it in the mountains!?)
Tip: People in Germany often speak better English than the English tourists.
Tip: Germans never get lost. (English tourists however, do, frequently!!!)
Tip: Learn to pronounce where you are staying if you don't speak the language.
Tip: At the very least learn how to write down where you're staying! (learnt that the hard way in Russia)
Tip: German bars with a bear print rainbow flag, advertising "gummi und leder" night are not for the faint-hearted.
Tip: Don't rely on me for cultural tips.

I'm looking forward to it. Corinna, you're going to have to write a thread on Germanic culture and "things you ought to know!". By 2008 I should have mastered the language. (I've never learnt it formally, but I used to enjoy reading Stern at school)

Rob
EDIT: when I say "mastered"... I mean, figured out how to order a pork sandwich.

Sounds to me like there might be a lot of people going to this meet . ...
One is tempted to call it an invasion ...

( c'mon, someone had to mention it... )

PS. How am I supposed to speak German when after two drinks I can hardly manage English ?

I figure I will look just as stupid being drunk in Germany as I do in most other countries. So what the hey!

Oh.. have I ever mentioned that thing I do about taking my pants off when I am blotto?

Ah, c'mon, Duckie. Don't tell us now ... just SHOW us then, will you :biggrin: :lol: :biggrin:

Most reactions

Back