The official NEWBIE wedding photography thread!

JIP, you ever go to your profile and select " read all posts by this user" or whatever? You probably should.

Anyhoot, for the topic at hand...

How do you deal with demanding clients that change their minds every 2 seconds?

How do you deal with family members that are getting in the way, without causing a scene?

Are there any differences in shooting weddings for people from different backgrounds/cultures?

Are outdoor weddings harder than indoor/church weddings? ( I'm just gonna take a wild guess here, aren't you? :) )

How often do you get to eat some of the wedding cake? :)

ok, i'm done.

Some peopl don't like chocolate some people do some people don't like peanut butter some people do. I have shot weddings steady for 6+ years and loved every minute of it. Even the bad ones had their good points but as you so clearly stated it is not for everyone. For me besides the rush of having such a stressful occasion being put on my shoulders I just love being paid to go to a party every week. I mean what other job are you going to get (I guess I can name a couple but not many) that everyone is happy (for the most part) wether it is fake or not every one has a smile on their face and everyone is having a good time.

Some people like to put meat hooks through their flesh and hang suspended in the air. Doesn't mean I understand the reason for wanting to do it. I guess the world would be a much more boring place without the weird, excentric or crazy. :)

Some people like to put meat hooks through their flesh and hang suspended in the air. Doesn't mean I understand the reason for wanting to do it. I guess the world would be a much more boring place without the weird, excentric or crazy. :)

Actually, when I saw it, it was sterile barbed edged rings that were insterted with the intent of being left there for "future use"... lol

Now, what a picture THAT would make!

Takes all kinds to make a world, I suppose... but I'd not really place sadomasochism on the same level as wedding photography... lol

JIP, you ever go to your profile and select " read all posts by this user" or whatever? You probably should.

Why exactly I would like to know

How do you deal with demanding clients that change their minds every 2 seconds?

Taking deep breaths always helps. No seriously it is just the nature of the game I think this is one of the things people hate about weddings.

How do you deal with family members that are getting in the way, without causing a scene?

When shooting a wedding you need to take command of the situation and make people know (without actually telling them) that you are the guy there being paid to take pictures. Really for the most part though you want to fade into the background and stay out of their way as well I guess this is another trick to the business.

Are there any differences in shooting weddings for people from different backgrounds/cultures?

Of course why woudn't there be.

Are outdoor weddings harder than indoor/church weddings? ( I'm just gonna take a wild guess here, aren't you? :) )

Depending on the venue outdoor weddins are easier. For one there is usually no driving to some crazy location to tke more pictures between the ceremony and reception since you are usually at the location for pictures already.

How often do you get to eat some of the wedding cake? :)

Very rarely I always eat but after dinner thing usually start to get real hary real quick so you need to start working as soon as you scarf down dinner especialy considering alot of times you wil be eating later thn others.

ok, i'm done.

Rainy days .... If the B&G request to take pictures outside in the rain .. What will you do? If you do it, in what way you can protect your equipments and how to get a good pictures in that type of environment?

The reasons I ask was because some of my wedding photos was taken with light rains, but I could not tell from the pictures that they were taken in a rainy day.

How do you specifically deal with Bridezilla, Momzilla & Dadzilla via documentation beforehand plus the day of the ceremony?

How do you organize your shots so that the children are gotten out of the way before they explode (and get entirely filthy).

What, specifically, is on your posing checklist.

What, specifically, do you carry as backup equipment.

How do you handle your insurance?

What advice would you give to someone just getting started who has not ever shot a wedding before? For example, should someone try to get a job as an assistant to learn? Any good courses, resources you would recommend? What is the one thing (resource or experience) that helped you learn the most? Thank you very much for opening up this thread!

Actually, when I saw it, it was sterile barbed edged rings that were insterted with the intent of being left there for "future use"... lol

Now, what a picture THAT would make!

Takes all kinds to make a world, I suppose... but I'd not really place sadomasochism on the same level as wedding photography... lol

Well with my son getting married this weekend and my daughter getting married the first weekend in July I think that sadomasochism and wanting to be a wedding photographer are on the same level. :mrgreen: Maybe I'm just to close to the subject at this point.

Part of it also comes from the fact that Photography for me is what keeps me from going mental and provides that relaxation in my life. It's hard to fathom someone wanting to take on such a feat as a career.

I have no interest in doing wedding photography professionally, nor substituting myself for a professional. If I were at a friend's wedding (not likely to happen at this point as most of my friends are already married), I would want to take some shots of my own.

What is the best way for the friends and family to stay out of the way of the pro and not make his job more difficult (other than leaving my camera at home)?

I have no interest in doing wedding photography professionally, nor substituting myself for a professional. If I were at a friend's wedding (not likely to happen at this point as most of my friends are already married), I would want to take some shots of my own.

What is the best way for the friends and family to stay out of the way of the pro and not make his job more difficult (other than leaving my camera at home)?

As a help to the photographer and a hint for you to get desirable images that they will want. If you see the photographer shooting a scene walk away. The las thing everyone wants is another set of images shot over the pro's shoulder.

I only came here because I'm going to a wedding for fun and hope to take some half decent shots but my question has already been asked so I'll check your blog out Jerry, Cheers.

Also, thanks for posting that link to the other thread Jip :)

Is that it? Thats all that the newbies want to know about this? I am surprised.

Maybe they are just a little nervous about asking you, considering your other answers.

People can't really change from being Mr Grumpy to Mr Nice Guy in a flash.

Most reactions

Back