What's new

The Old Leather Bag

Tuffythepug

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
851
Reaction score
278
Location
northern California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Overcooked the heck out of it just to see how it would look.


theleatherbag.jpg
 
Last edited:
Idea is nice but this HDR bites my eyes. If I didn't know it's you, I would swear it's a drawing.
 
Something special about it; probably, the overcooked look; yet i like :D
 
Tuffythepug said:
Overcooked the heck out of it just to see how it would look.

It's overlooked like a bag of microwave popcorn that's been in the microwave for 20 minutes.

WAY WAY WAY overdone.
 
It looks exactly like one would expect when one "overcooked the heck out of it just to see how it would look."
 
I really like this image. The fact that it is smaller than than the subject bag, feels smoother on my montior, has a different color pallet, etc. just means it is not the bag. To me, "overcooked" seems to mean "I don't like it and I know how you pumped it up." (I usually find myself thinking lots of images are "overcooked," including some of mine, so this is not about taste.) How much should "it doesn't look real" enter into criticism of all kinds of photography? Would one describe a black and white conversion as "obviously desaturated"? One of my favorite Picasso stories goes like this:
Picasso was doing a portrait of a woman, and one day when she was not posing, her husband came to the studio and asked Picasso to see the how the portrait was coming along. Picasso showed him the work-in-progress, and the man was clearly unhappy. When asked what was wrong, he replied, "It doesn't look like my wife." Picasso asked the man "What does your wife look like?" and the man produced a photo of her from his wallet. After looking at the photo, Picasso said, "Small, isn't she?"
 
Typical HDR and the reason it will go the direction of "selective coloring"
 
To me, "overcooked" seems to mean "I don't like it and I know how you pumped it up."

Think of the term overlooked in cooking terms. When you over cook something it becomes dry, burnt, and inedible.

When people use the term overlooked with photography and specifically with HDR photography it means that it is over processed. That over processing makes the image look unreal, and unpleasant to look at.

Even if a image is well composed and has an interesting subject if it is overlooked its still going to look bad.
 
It might look cool if you only 'overcooked' the bag and left the rest of it normal.
 
For comparison here is the original "straight" shot and also a b/w conversion

leatherbagcolor.jpg


leatherbagbw2.jpg
 
Yup, I can confirm that it's a bag.
 
Why have the bag, one set of color and shapes, on a cloth that has an entirely different set of shapes and lines and that is bright to boot?

(and I think the first use of 'overlooked' was a typo. Moist people use the term 'overcooked' to refer to an image that has been overworked in PPing in some egregious manner.)
 

Attachments

  • $leatherbagcolorllllllllllll.webp
    $leatherbagcolorllllllllllll.webp
    82.6 KB · Views: 79
We should so start a thread of overcooked everyday objects.
 
Wish I could find a way to simply delete this post altogether. But thanks for the comments.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom