The Old Market Stall Keeper

Black_Square

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sylvia was working on a market stall here in Bristol. She had a collection of old photographs that really caught my attention. I got chatting to her, during which she explained that she used to work on the stage, and was once beautiful - everybody used to want to take her photograph. I couldn't help but oblige.

The image has been post-processed to create a painterly effect, which includes manipulation of the colour palette.

Thanks for looking.

36598062686_5a5dc82c19_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure why age is such a fickle thing between the sexes. Wrinkled weathered skin on men seems to add to the character but seems sad at times on women. Maybe it's because men are not considered things of beauty like women are at a younger age so it's not considered a loss. I've reached that age where so many of my circle of female friends, are starting to face this so I think about it a lot. In my practice shots I'm trying to reach a point where I can minimize the aging but not so much as it looks fake.

As always I appreciate you sharing your work and study them in detail. I know you said you manipulated the tones so my comment that follows is merely a personal opinion. It seems that on my tablet the blue might be a tad to much in the face, but then that might be your vision. Overall another fine example of your work.

Last edited:
Looks like a lady that could tell life stories

Excellent. I love the burgundy background and how it separates her.

Great image; she looks like someone who'd be great fun to sit down to a pint with and listen to stories. I agree that the blue tones seem just a tad strong, but I really like the image.

I think she looks wonderful; the expression is somehow wistful, but knowing - terrific capture! I'm happy you spent some time talking to her and then photographing her.

The photo itself - I am so sorry, but this overblown kind of processing is too garish for me. I appreciate your explanation about going for a painterly look, but that's not what I'm personally getting here. The blues are too prominent, and the rest just looks cooked.

Sorry. :( If you went at this image in a more subtle way, I'd love to see it!

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I did edit the image to have a slightly cooler look, and after checking the histogram the blue channel appears consistent with the others. Anyway, I've re-tweaked it very slightly and I am much happier with the result.

@terri - I love photoshop as much as you love the darkroom! ;-)

Thanks again for the feedback :)

36735772081_ea9286616a_b.jpg

I like version 2 better. Your shot worked, you have me wondering about her life story. :)

Thanks Granddad, yes, I bet she has a great story to tell!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back