TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

The Old Peir, Maltburn Sands Landscape by wee_pete, on Flickr

3 bracketed long exposures of a sunset when I was recently on Orkney. I've been waiting ages to get a shot like this so pleased how it turned out though I've not exactly nailed it. In my opinion it's weighted to much to the right, thought the seaweed and debris in the foreground almost make up for it but not quite. I'd have also liked to have brought the setting sun down a touch more as it's a bit white (but not blown out on my raw histogram). I also left the ghosts on this one as I'm thinking it adds to the movement of the debris being tossed about in the waves.

I did have a couple of issues shooting this, namley the tide was coming in and it was freezing cold, so I just got as many shots as I could before heading back to the warmth of the van. Next time I'll bring my flotation suit! I'd love to get some C&C on this as I feel it's my first HDR where I've actually had a cracking subject to play with!

Shot on a tripod with a Canon 7D, 18-55mm kit lens, GND8 and CPL. longest exposure was 25 seconds.

not to bad, i have not messed around with HDR yet but i want to. i feel like you should clean up the beach a bit and maybe reduce some noise i see in the clouds. i feel like i would have like to see more of the sky

I like this A LOT! Great capture! I am seeing it in the tablet, so cannot comment too much on it, but what I see, I LIKE!

the problem I have with HDR's with water is the weird ghosting that tends to happen. This shot looks good but if you look at the rocks and stuff on the beach in the bottom-left part of the frame you'll see what I'm talking about with the ghosting

Add a Graduated ND to your bag, and this woulda been perfect!

Jake

I would have fun with that picture and pump of the colors. It looks like a fantasy shot so why not. Here is a quick edit I did. Lovely shot BTW!

Not a bad shot. In my opinion, this is not a situation where HDR is necessary. A simple 3-4 stop hard stop GND and you've got it.

Compositionally, I would have moved in really close to the rocks and possibly shot in a vertical orientation. The foreground is a bit distracting, I would prefer to see those rocks or pilings jumping out right in my face!!! BAM!!! :) Shoot long before the sun rises and you can eliminate that hot spot in the center. But be prepared for 30 plus second exposures.

Is this a location that is close to you? If you have access, go back several times when the light isn't good and just practice different angles and compositions. Take the pressure off of yourself. That way when you are there and the light is great, you'll be one step ahead. Don't be frustrated, once I find a scene like this that I want, it is not unusualy for me to revisit the site 10-20 times to get one shot I am happy with. Control what you can, your technique and composition, and then just roll with mother nature.

Last edited:
not to bad, i have not messed around with HDR yet but i want to. i feel like you should clean up the beach a bit and maybe reduce some noise i see in the clouds. i feel like i would have like to see more of the sky

Thanks mate. I've probably magaged to introduce a bit of noise in PP, and though I did try to keep it to a minimum. I pushed the noise reduction as far as I dared already, but I'll have a gander and see if I can push it a bit further. I get what you mean about the sky, I could have probably taken it from a lower angle and got more of it in. I was trying to include a good bit of foreground in this one but I agree the balance isn't quite right

the problem I have with HDR's with water is the weird ghosting that tends to happen. This shot looks good but if you look at the rocks and stuff on the beach in the bottom-left part of the frame you'll see what I'm talking about with the ghosting

Thanks mate. Yeah, I know what you mean about the ghosting but I deliberately left it in this image.

I would have fun with that picture and pump of the colors. It looks like a fantasy shot so why not. Here is a quick edit I did. Lovely shot BTW!

Thanks mate, I think I'll give that a go, seems to add a bit more interest in the sky and goldenness to the sand

Not a bad shot. In my opinion, this is not a situation where HDR is necessary. A simple 3-4 stop hard stop GND and you've got it.

Compositionally, I would have moved in really close to the rocks and possibly shot in a vertical orientation. The foreground is a bit distracting, I would prefer to see those rocks or pilings jumping out right in my face!!! BAM!!! :) Shoot long before the sun rises and you can eliminate that hot spot in the center. But be prepared for 30 plus second exposures.

Is this a location that is close to you? If you have access, go back several times when the light isn't good and just practice different angles and compositions. Take the pressure off of yourself. That way when you are there and the light is great, you'll be one step ahead. Don't be frustrated, once I find a scene like this that I want, it is not unusualy for me to revisit the site 10-20 times to get one shot I am happy with. Control what you can, your technique and composition, and then just roll with mother nature.

Thanks mate. I did shoot it with a GND8, would a hard stop one make a real difference?

I was thinking about the compositional aspect for the past few days and what you describe is exactly the shot I had in my head that I'd try and get if I had a do over. I'll maybe try the 30 second plus exposures next time then, it is something I should remember to try!

Unfortunately this place is some 350 miles and two ferry jouneys away from my house so it's unlikely I'll be back soon, but I know a couple of places that are within a 3hr drive that it would be possible to try this stuff out on, and I stop have a few sites on the islands and up north to visit so may get another chance soon.

Thanks for the encouragement!

You know, if you have the raw file, you COULD make 3 different files with it (one with -2 EV, one with 0 EV and one with +2) and then make the HDR from a single shot, which would remove the ghosting... But I still like the shot!

Thanks mate, I hadn't thought of that but it's a good idea. Like I said in this image it doesn't bother me but I'll keep that in my head for future reference!

Most reactions

Back