The oldest villages

Downtownie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some of the oldest fishing villages in Newfoundland and Labrador. Most were initially settled by Basque, Breton, or Norman fishers. They were generally conquered by the English or French in the early 1500s and permanently inhabited since then.

Bay de Verde
(Original name: Bay of Arabs)

Bay de Verde by R C, on Flickr

Bay de Verde by R C, on Flickr

For small places, they had quite a tumultuous history. Using just this one for example. Via Wikipedia:

According to D. W. Prowse (1895) the earliest documented inhabitant of the 'Bay of Arbs' (today known as Bay de Verde) was Isaac Dethick, an English planter who was expelled from Placentia in 1662 when the French took over that town. There is no doubt that there were settlers such as the Taverners already established at Bay de Verde when he arrived. In 1675 seven families and their servants, numbering close to 150 people, had erected eleven rooms and stages in the harbour.

The best record of the period comes from the journal of Abbe Baudoin, dated February 2 to February 6, 1697. Baudoin, who travelled with Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville's raiders, noted that "there were in this harbour fourteen settlers well established and ninety good men." During King William's War, the village was destroyed in the Avalon Peninsula Campaign. These French raiding parties destroyed the community and killed a number of inhabitants again during Queen Anne's War in 1705.

Carbonear
(Original name: Cabo Carvoeiro)

Carbonear by R C, on Flickr

Carbonear by R C, on Flickr

Harbour Grace
(Original name: Havre de Grâce)

Harbour Grace by R C, on Flickr

Brigus
(Original name: Brickhouse; it wasn't renamed, pronunciation just became Brigus over time)

Brigus by R C, on Flickr

Brigus by R C, on Flickr

And just in case you're curious the location.

Here's their location in relation to my city and our capital, St. John's:

2ly61xz.jpg

And here they are in relation to the U.S.:

30ngdwm.jpg

thanks, interesting place, good info, no doubt these are hardy folk living on rock so close to the sea

thanks, interesting place, good info, no doubt these are hardy folk living on rock so close to the sea

sorry somehow I doubled up my reply

Most reactions

Back