sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After having the new D800 for over a week, I finally got to head out on Saturday and test it on some birds. I was hoping the camera still had Kris' magic lingering on it. Alas, the camera did only what *I* made it do, rather than remembering what HE told it to do. :D

I love this thing, even for birding. I can definitely see where the crop sensor matters for that long reach of bird photography, but the difference in low light is way more than enough to make up for it.

I went out early Saturday morning. Couldn't decide whether to head north an hour to one of my favorite general birding spots, or south 90 minutes to my favorite Osprey spot. So…I did both. Went north first, then headed south around noon and spent the rest of the day with the Osprey.

On my drive up to the first spot, it was beautiful--gorgeous sunrise, clear skies, shaping up to be an absolutely perfect day. I get to my spot…and the fog is thick as pea soup! I kept thinking it would burn off anytime--well, it did finally burn off, at about 10 a.m.!

With the D7000, in that kind of thick fog, my ISO would have been cranked so high, the pictures would have been pretty much useless except for maybe viewing online with a LOT of noise reduction.
With the D800, the results were far better.

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher:
Rankin_BlueGray_2250web.jpg

Yellow Warbler:
Rankin_YellowW_2149editweb.jpg

Prothonotary Warbler (PW): These loud little birds were everywhere. I've only ever seen a couple of them before this weekend. Saturday, I probably saw at least 20-24 of them.
Rankin_ProthoW_2163editweb.jpg

This PW put on a show for me. It came zipping by my ear, I almost had to duck it flew so close to me. Then it landed on a branch RIGHT behind me, less than 4 feet away. I had to back up to get to a place where I could get some shots of it, but it just sat there, not concerned with my movements at all. Then it start flapping its wings, in what I assume was some sort of mating ritual.
Rankin_ProthoW_2231web.jpg

Then, I headed off south to Dayton, TN, home of my favorite pair of Osprey.
This was where I had my first significant learning-curve issues with the D800. Kris had the camera set to BBF, which I've never used, but I thought since it was already set up that way, I might as well take advantage and learn how to use it. I tried ONCE on my D7000 and didn't like it, but I really didn't give it a fair chance at the time, literally set it that way for about an hour then switched back.

So far, once I got used to it, I've like the BBF. But then came the Osprey…and I missed focus on almost every single in-flight shot where the birds were coming toward me. Just could NOT lock focus on them! Missed what should have been some truly excellent shots--I ended up with ONE OIF (Osprey in Flight) shot that I thought was decent.
Got a few nice ones of them in the nest, though.

Osprey Pose
DaytonOsprey_2421web.jpg

Osprey Tug-of-War
DaytonOsprey_2495web.jpg

The ONE OIF shot I liked:
DaytonOsprey_2492web.jpg

All in all, I'm loving the D800. Being able to crop the bejeebers out of a photo and still have something usable left is pretty awesome. If I continue to miss the in-flight stuff I may try switching back to shutter focus, but since I plan to shoot a lot of stuff BESIDES birds with this thing, I'm trying to give it a fair chance.

As always, general comments, C&C and witty banter are appreciated!

Attachments

• Rankin_ProthoW_2282editweb.jpg
    Rankin_ProthoW_2282editweb.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 177
I like the warbler shots, especially that last one! That warbler loves the camera!

Trying to shoot hawks with the 150-600...I know the feel.

Sharon, these are very nice. One TINY little nitpicky thing, the yellow of the PW looks to me maybe just a tick or two oversaturated. But that could be my bad eyes.

I tried to shoot a bumble bee with the 150-600 flying around my backyard .... total fail.

Great shots Sharon. Gotta love those FF bodies. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone! I appreciate them.

Sharon, these are very nice. One TINY little nitpicky thing, the yellow of the PW looks to me maybe just a tick or two oversaturated. But that could be my bad eyes.

Ron, believe it or not, I actually DEsaturated these a tiny bit! PWs are extremely yellow little birds. Considerably brighter than say, an American Goldfinch's color.

I tried to shoot a bumble bee with the 150-600 flying around my backyard .... total fail.

Great shots Sharon. Gotta love those FF bodies. :)

HAHAHA, this made me laugh because one day last week, I was sitting out in my backyard, equipped with the new camera and the Sigma lens, waiting for my hummers to show up. They never did (I think the two I had earlier have moved on, so now I gotta hope some more show up), and I got SOOOOO bored. I couldn't stand to take ONE more picture of a Titmouse, or a mockingbird or a finch. So, I starting trying to shoot the bumblebees, with the 150-500 and FF camera. Yeah, because THAT's what I spent all this money on gear for! :lol:

HAHAHA, this made me laugh because one day last week, I was sitting out in my backyard, equipped with the new camera and the Sigma lens, waiting for my hummers to show up. They never did...

there's a solution to this:

Bob Anderson - Swarming Hummingbirds Facebook

HA, I saw that video the other day, and my ENTIRE takeaway from it was:

MUST
GET
MORE
HUMMER
FEEDERS.

:biglaugh:

I only have three. And they are in different spots. I'm seriously thinking of buying three more, and then putting all six in the same general area of the yard.

Looks like you've taught the camera a few tricks of your own - nice stuff!

I agree with Ron about the saturation. There are places where there is no detail because the color is at the limit of the color space. You probably need to desaturate the raw file or maybe even underexpose a bit to avoid blowing out the yellow (R & G channels).

All very nice, but its' the Osprey shots for me, especially the in flight.

Nice set! Keep with the back button focus, I can't believe I ever lived without it.

You may have only come back with one OIF but it is a beauty !!!!!!

Most reactions

Back