The Pagan

Mystgicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Fire away guys~ All critique welcomed.

1.jpg

This subject is so powerful that it would be hard to capture a bad/un-powerful image. Tell us about the shot. Were the people avoiding him? Why is he crawling ... lack of legs or was he performing a ritual (it appears that he is missing his legs ... but hard to be 100% sure per the robes). How did you feel when you took the shot? Was this shot from the hip or did you get low and properly frame the shot? Did you speak with the monk?

I think I may have tried many different things, but in particular going long and compressing the sidewalk and all the peoples seemingly ignoring him. I may have tried wide with a slow shutter getting him sharp but the other pedestrians blurry. ... Might have tried that going long as well. Shooting straight down from a second story would have been interesting. ...

I shoot a lot of Street. Generally, I don't speak to my subjects. I just shoot and walk. I find speaking to the subjects typically changes/alters the mood and flavor of the scene, removing what initially caught my interest/eye. But, I definitely would have spoken with him, offered assistance.

While shooting Street, I have a personal code. While I don't ask permission, I am conscience of and try to shoot Street People with respect and never try to exploit a person because economic, physical or mental deficiencies. (i.e. I never shoot homeless.)

So what was going on in your mind when you saw him? Out here, this would have been very unusual and my eye/mind would have been exploding with the potential and possibilities. What say you?

This subject is so powerful that it would be hard to capture a bad/un-powerful image. Tell us about the shot. Were the people avoiding him? Why is he crawling ... lack of legs or was he performing a ritual (it appears that he is missing his legs ... but hard to be 100% sure per the robes). How did you feel when you took the shot? Was this shot from the hip or did you get low and properly frame the shot? Did you speak with the monk?

I think I may have tried many different things, but in particular going long and compressing the sidewalk and all the peoples seemingly ignoring him. I may have tried wide with a slow shutter getting him sharp but the other pedestrians blurry. ... Might have tried that going long as well. Shooting straight down from a second story would have been interesting. ...

I shoot a lot of Street. Generally, I don't speak to my subjects. I just shoot and walk. I find speaking to the subjects typically changes/alters the mood and flavor of the scene, removing what initially caught my interest/eye. But, I definitely would have spoken with him, offered assistance.

While shooting Street, I have a personal code. While I don't ask permission, I am conscience of and try to shoot Street People with respect and never try to exploit a person because economic, physical or mental deficiencies. (i.e. I never shoot homeless.)

So what was going on in your mind when you saw him? Out here, this would have been very unusual and my eye/mind would have been exploding with the potential and possibilities. What say you?

Wow! First of all, thanks for such a long feedback!

Now, for the background of the picture. This was shot in Lhasa, Tibet. The people here are engaged in a Buddhist ritual where they walk around the temple to symbolise completeness. He is likely a pilgrim that has travelled some distance by kneeling once every few steps of the way. I was trying to show his dedication in the picture. He is joined by those around him doing the same ritual - only they were walking and he was actually kneeling. I did not want to disturb him so I took the shot and walked on.

He is not disabled in any way, he is kneeling in dedication

Last edited:
When I saw your image I immediately thought it was a disabled person who was being ignored either for some cultural reason or just because it's a common sight so people there are blase. Just goes to show how emotive an open to misinterpretation a photograph can be.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have to tell you that you hit a homerun with this picture. I interpreted this as a photo of a handicapped person also. Your intention is to tell a story. There are volumes of stories with this one. The look on his face says determination or pain. Either takes the viewer to a different place. Without your explanation, my story would have led to a much different destination.

Nominated for POTM

Last edited:
When I saw your image I immediately thought it was a disabled person who was being ignored either for some cultural reason or just because it's a common sight so people there are blase. Just goes to show how emotive an open to misinterpretation a photograph can be.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
“open to misinterpretation” - haha good one! It’s interesting how most if not all people tend to see a disabled person in pain. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers!

I have to tell you that you hit a homerun with this picture. I interpreted this as a photo of a handicapped person also. Your intention is to tell a story. There are volumes of stories with this one. The look on his face says determination or pain. Either takes the viewer to a different place. Without your explanation, my story would have led to a much different destination.

Nominated for POTM
Wow! Thanks! Those are very encouraging words. Glad you liked the pic!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back