480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In my scanning in all the old family photos, I came across one I thought would make a unique project. It's of my grandfather, in his younger years, 'striking a pose' on the lawn of the courthouse where he grew up.

So this morning, I took that old photo with me to the same courthouse, and figured out where the camera was positioned to take that old photo. I then took a shot, brought it back to the computer, and superimposed that old photo into the new background.

The result:

ComboPost.jpg

In my scanning in all the old family photos, I came across one I thought would make a unique project. It's of my grandfather, in his younger years, 'striking a pose' on the lawn of the courthouse where he grew up.

So this morning, I took that old photo with me to the same courthouse, and figured out where the camera was positioned to take that old photo. I then took a shot, brought it back to the computer, and superimposed that old photo into the new background.

The result:

ComboPost.jpg

Oh my gosh...as I clicked on your post to open it, I thought this might be the technique you would use! And it was! VERY well-done sparky! I love this treatment, and it's such a cool family photo too. Nice work!

I'd re shoot it to match the time of day the picture was taken as well.

I'd re shoot it to match the time of day the picture was taken as well.

And......... what time would that be? Them old photos have had their EXIF data stripped.

well, not with shadow cast on the front side of the courthouse.

I'm still trying to figure out how you know what time of day the old photo was taken at.

OK, so what's the secret of finding out what time the old photo was taken? :er:

but there are things casting shadows and distracting from the picture that has none in it...

but there are things casting shadows and distracting from the picture that has none in it...

Let's cut to the quick:

What time was the old photo taken?

Let's cut to the quick:

What time was the old photo taken?

I cannot see the old photo very clearly, but it looks to me like I see shadows on him, and on the outside of the building, that indicate the sun was high in the sky. See the shadow on the third floor balcony and railing? That shadow seems to indicate a high sun position. Looks like maybe a bright, hazy day, weather-wise.

I cannot see the old photo very clearly, but it looks to me like I see shadows on him, and on the outside of the building, that indicate the sun was high in the sky. See the shadow on the third floor balcony and railing? That shadow seems to indicate a high sun position. Looks like maybe a bright, hazy day, weather-wise.

That's not a shadow you're seeing.... it's dirt.

OK, I'll come clean. If you really look at the old photo, you'll notice there aren't ANY distinct shadows. Heavy over-cast day. So a sundial would be useless. Unless I hold a seance, there's no way to tell what time of day the photo was taken.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back