The Pleiades constellation

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I imaged the Pleiades constellation last night, which is an open star cluster about 440 light years from Earth. It rises in the east after sunset this time of year. Last time I tried imaging it was in the spring, which put it in the west after sunset, and directly over the light dome of a neighboring mid sized city.

Nikon D500
Nikon 70-200 @ 200mm, f/4
30 x 120 second sub exposures at ISO 320
Total integration time of 56 minutes
Calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
Tracking done with iOptron Skyguider Pro
Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
Processed in PS

received_2686631651585768.jpeg

Side note: the logo for the car company Subaru is this constellation and I believe Subaru is their name for it.

Did you use a filter? I think I've asked you this but does your camera still have the IR filter?
I didn't use any filter on this image. The sky was dark enough to the east that I didn't need it. I do use light polution filters most of the time, though. My cameras are not astro modified, so they both have the IR filters, still.

I didn't use any filter on this image. The sky was dark enough to the east that I didn't need it. I do use light polution filters most of the time, though. My cameras are not astro modified, so they both have the IR filters, still.

Which filter? I got, from Highpoint, what I thought was the proper light pollution filter but now I'm not sure. I'll have to check which but I recall that CLS is stamped on it.

Which filter? I got, from Highpoint, what I thought was the proper light pollution filter but now I'm not sure. I'll have to check which but I recall that CLS is stamped on it.
I use two main filters. On the telescope, I use the 2" Optolong L-Pro light polution filter, which works with either camera attached. When shooting with camera lenses and my D800, I use an Astronomik CLS clip in filter. I unfortunately don't have a clip in filter for the D500. I also have a cheap 77mm CLS filter I've used on a couple camera lenses, but it yielded crappy results with terrible color cast, so I don't use it any more.

I use two main filters. On the telescope, I use the 2" Optolong L-Pro light polution filter, which works with either camera attached. When shooting with camera lenses and my D800, I use an Astronomik CLS clip in filter. I unfortunately don't have a clip in filter for the D500. I also have a cheap 77mm CLS filter I've used on a couple camera lenses, but it yielded crappy results with terrible color cast, so I don't use it any more.

Have you tried the L-enhance at all? My hunch is for Pleiades the L-pro may actually be better but curious if you’ve compared the two. (I actually have both unfortunately haven’t gotten to use either much this summer as my new DSO photography hobby has been stunted by cloudy weather and wild fire smoke [emoji849])

I shoot with a D750 and looked at clip in types when researching filters but the very loose assurances of compatibility and my lack of technical knowledge messing with things inside the body scared me off.

The triad quad-band looks enticing but I don’t think I could bring myself to spend well more on a filter than my scope cost.

Very nice image by the way!

Have you tried the L-enhance at all? My hunch is for Pleiades the L-pro may actually be better but curious if you’ve compared the two. (I actually have both unfortunately haven’t gotten to use either much this summer as my new DSO photography hobby has been stunted by cloudy weather and wild fire smoke [emoji849])

I shoot with a D750 and looked at clip in types when researching filters but the very loose assurances of compatibility and my lack of technical knowledge messing with things inside the body scared me off.

The triad quad-band looks enticing but I don’t think I could bring myself to spend well more on a filter than my scope cost.

Very nice image by the way!
The L-enhance and L-extreme are more narrow band filters. My understanding is they aren't a very good pairing with an unmodified DSLR. I think you need the more sensitive sensors to take full advantage of narrow band imaging like dedicated astro cameras or modified DSLRs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back