Veil Nebula

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night was a pleasant treat, seeing as how it's been months of not being able to get out under the stars to do any imaging. I went after a target I've never shot before. The Veil Nebula! A supernova remnant located 1470 light years from Earth, in the constellation Cygnus.

-Celestron AVX mount
-Astro modified Nikon D610
-Nikon 70-200mm lens @ 200mm, f/3.2
-Dual narrowband clip-in filter
-Orion Starshoot autoguide camera
-Orion 80mm guide scope
-63 light frames at 180 sec each, ISO 400
-Calibrated with dark, bias, and flat frames
-Total integration time of 3hrs 9min, the longest integration time I've done on a single target.
-Software used, Celestron CPWI, PHD2, Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop

Veil 061722.jpg

Incredible! Do you have to use false colors, or is this natural?

Last night was a pleasant treat, seeing as how it's been months of not being able to get out under the stars to do any imaging. I went after a target I've never shot before. The Veil Nebula! A supernova remnant located 1470 light years from Earth, in the constellation Cygnus.

-Celestron AVX mount
-Astro modified Nikon D610
-Nikon 70-200mm lens @ 200mm, f/3.2
-Dual narrowband clip-in filter
-Orion Starshoot autoguide camera
-Orion 80mm guide scope
-63 light frames at 180 sec each, ISO 400
-Calibrated with dark, bias, and flat frames
-Total integration time of 3hrs 9min, the longest integration time I've done on a single target.
-Software used, Celestron CPWI, PHD2, Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop

View attachment 257114
Bravo!

That's a pretty amazing result. Looks beautiful. Your process sounds pretty intense!

Cool shot.....
Thanks.....
Incredible! Do you have to use false colors, or is this natural?
Thank you! This image is true color, shot with a filter that only allows light in the wavelengths for hydrogen alpha and oxygen III to pass through. Since the camera is natively a color sensor, the colors are accurately represented. Narrowband imaging with monochrome sensors does require assigning color to the data in each color channel.
Super nice image.
Thanks!

Thanks!
That's a pretty amazing result. Looks beautiful. Your process sounds pretty intense!
Thank you! There are a lot of small steps, both with the image capture and post processing. There's also an element of luck with weather and atmospheric conditions. It's part of the fun, for me. Some folks get overwhelmed or frustrated with all the nuances, which is understandable, but modern consumer products have become much more plug and play that in the past, making it easier.
Wonderful shot!
Thanks!

Pretty amazing result!

Most reactions

Back