danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2 scenarios:
1. Hand printed traditional prints
2. Lazer printed @300ppi or above

Which among the above two is superior and why?

BTW This is not for a digital vs film war!!!!

Superior? There are so many factors that go into judging the differences, and no two people will have the same opinion. It's in the eye of the beholder.

This is a digital vs film war, you just started it. :p

Matt, I was thinking of purely a technical query. Among the hoardes of digital prints, there are people who make their own prints now for commercial work (Rodney Smith, Cheryl jacobs, our Matt Needham etc). So I was wondering if they are merely being sentimental about the "traditional" stuff or because the quakity is superior due to some reasons which I am not aware of yet.

But, you are right. This might eventually become a lame film-digital crap war :bounce:. I shall PM you and Matt N.

You can get as technical as you want, but in the end you still have to "look" at it with your own eyes, and that's as much detail as your going to see, ever.

I'm not an expert on digital or film resolution or printing, so I can't give you any scientific data or anything.

The method is not important. The image and the message are all that matter. A good picture is a good picture. You can print it on toilet paper and it's still a good picture.
If you look at the original prints of some of the greats the quality can be pretty crappy but it doesn't detract from their stature as Artists.

Hertz van Rental said:
The method is not important. The image and the message are all that matter. A good picture is a good picture. You can print it on toilet paper and it's still a good picture.
If you look at the original prints of some of the greats the quality can be pretty crappy but it doesn't detract from their stature as Artists.
True, I'm a "message is what matters" guy. For me, art is art even if it is scratched on a wall or coming out of the world's best printer. It is the message that matters.

But if we were to look at it from a from a "commercial" point of view, and if a beginner artist wanted to place himself in a unique selling position, he/she should naturally be the odd one in the pack. Once the artist gets a standing, then they could sell anything on a toilet roll, like you mentioned. Good marketing will take care of that.
I would love to be in the art field and put bread on the table, without feeling burnt out. But if my platter do not have something unique, the whole endevour (sp?) would be futile. "Will photograph for mortgage payments" is the last thing I would want to do.

Digital Matt said:
but in the end you still have to "look" at it with your own eyes

I would agree that this is the best way to determine "quality". You have to try it yourself and see what you think.

When I teach basic photo classes someone always brings me some of their photos and asks if they are good enough to have enlarged, and hang them on their walls. My opinion is that you can do anything to your walls that makes you happy, so who am I to judge. I usually tell them to go for it. If they were to ask me if I would hang them on my walls, it may be a different answer ;)

danalec99 said:
But if my platter do not have something unique, the whole endevour (sp?) would be futile. "Will photograph for mortgage payments" is the last thing I would want to do.

But that is exactly what you do if you turn pro - take pictures for cash. 'We're all just prostitutes' is how one photographer I knew put it. It's very hard to make a living in Photography as a purely 'art' photographer. You nearly always need a day job. You do the good stuff in your own time. I never felt burnt out even working a 17-18 hour day. Doing my own pictures was the best form of relaxation - most of us did it that way.
And as for selling toilet rolls to the public - in my experience if you package it good they won't notice unless you tell them. ;-)

Hertz van Rental said:
The method is not important. The image and the message are all that matter.

For some folks the end is all that is important, but others feel that the means and the end are inseparable. For me the process has just as much importance as the results; in some situations possibly more importance in the long run.

Hertz van Rental said:
It's very hard to make a living in Photography as a purely 'art' photographer. You nearly always need a day job. You do the good stuff in your own time.
After many hours and days of contemplation, this is exactly what I have decided, at least for starters.

Thank you all, for the input.

Thanks Matt N for the PM essay. A PM awaits you.

Most reactions

Back