The 'proper' number of card slots...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Peeb, Aug 30, 2018.

?

What is the 'ideal' number of camera card slots?

1. 0- the experience of capturing the moment is key; you don't need the image at all.

13.6%
  2. 1- what are the chances of a card failure or loss? This is small, fast, and light

27.3%
  3. 2- gives you redundancy for critical uses (weddings, etc). Bad things can happen!

50.0%
  4. one MILLION- and now, my plan for world domination can come to fruition.

9.1%
  1. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I recently passed on the new Nikon Z6 and Z7 based on (0nly) one card slot. I did the same on the Nikon D7500 last year for the same reason: CDS ("Card Deficiency Syndrome"). HOWEVER, merely one card was just fine for me when I pulled the trigger on a Fuji X-T20, as my intended use for that camera was totally different.

So, it really kinda depends, but what I'm interested in is this: in an ideal world, what is the 'proper' number of card slots in a camera, to have a camera configured to your liking?

Please comment! Thanks

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Four card slots. Because, you know, it's four. This gives me a primary card, and a backup, then a backup of the backup, and then a backup of the backup of the backup. Because, you know, some guy's $9, 32-gigabyte,counterfeit, Chinese knock-off card failed once.

I keep hearing about cards failing.

But then, I buy genuine SanDisk cards, from an actual brick and mortar store, not on-line,incredibly-low-priced-counterfeits-which-are-priced at 1/3 of the genuine article from Alibaba Express.

I payed $5,000 for a brand-new Nikon D2x on May 3 of 2005. It has _never_ had a card failure. But then, it's only been 13 years. The D2x was a flagship-level camera body, and it has ONE,single, CF card slot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Peeb

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, Derrel, if it's more than '2', you gotta go with a million (think Dr. Evil- one MILLION dollars...). ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a funny blog post that related to the curd slot issue. The blog post is entitled Nikon Thing.

Photos and Stuff: Nikon Thing!

Okay, I vote for One Million Card Slots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

I checked 1,000,000 based on Derrel Card Syndrome (DCS). I like two, as often I shoot plays and parades lasting hours ... and with two, I know the cards won't ever get filled up. But I'm okay with one, but not less than one. :cool-98:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seven. Because I like seven.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Peeb

Photos OK to edit
    I voted zero, based on Sean O'Connell's advice in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. He was asked if he was going to take the shot when a rare snow leopard appeared:

"Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it."​

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I am going to say 2 but not specifically for card failure. It is nice to have the failover in that rare occurrence but I like for the following features:

- use as extended storage if the other card fills up. - can choose which format goes to which card. I used to have Raw to one card and jpeg to another and still be able to shoot 60fps. Now that I don't shoot jpeg I use it as an extension and for video recording.

But here is where the failover worked for me. Went out one morning shooting birds and took a lot of shots. When I got home I took the card from slot 1 as usual and brought it up on the laptop. None of my shots where there. I found them on the second card. What happened was that the lock was on the first card. It couldn't write to the card so it switched to the second card. I never lost a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Step 1: set the camera up so that it WILL NOT SHOOT unless it has a card in it. Wait...maybe you already did that...because you did have a card (two in fact) in the camera.

It's interesting that Thom Hogan mentions that XQD cards seem almost failure-proof so far.

I have no experience in using the XQD card type, but apparently, they are extremely robust compared against CF and SD types.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

12. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I think what's most intriguing about the new Nikon's without a second card slot, is that dual s lots have been around for a long time and taken for granted to be in the top line cameras. Nobody is complaining about a backup lens mount spot in case the threads jam, or a second shutter release button.... because we've never had those and they are not expected. The missing dual slot though seems like a step backwards. A second slot is like insurance. You may very well never need it, but's it's comforting to know it's there in case you ever do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1