The 'proper' number of card slots...

What is the 'ideal' number of camera card slots?

• Total voters
Earlier today:
View attachment 163203

Brand new card from Wal-mart:
View attachment 163204

They are an amazing company with a fantastic product, but in the words of Forrest Gump: "Sh*t happens".
Using a Micro SD with adapter just doubled the chance of a problem. I think the moral here is to go with a good "Photography" SD card, such as the Extreme Pro (I also have an Extreme that I picked up while traveling and it has also worked fine so far). The top cards usually include file recovery software free with the card.

Here is what a lot of us might be thinking. If 1 card is OK, why did Nikon ever put 2 cards in their upper line of cameras? And, why did they only put 1 card in the D7500-Z6-Z7?

I realize "0" was meant as a joke, but astrophotography cameras often have 0.

The high end of astro-imaging cameras used to be cooled CCD imaging cameras because "CMOS" was better at fast capture images but CCD were better for long-exposure images. But those lines have blurred and these days most new CCD astro-imaging cameras are actually CMOS cameras.

These things have no controls on them of any kind...they have to be tethered to a computer to run them. Consequently they have no storage.

I have a ZWO ASi128MC-Pro (see: ASI128MC Pro (color) | ZWO ASI ) It uses a Sony Exmore IMX128 ... basically the same sensor you'd find in a Nikon D750 (but without the filter or firmware). You actually can get a lens adapter for either Nikon F-mount or Canon EF-mount lenses (I have the Canon EF-mount adapter).

Earlier today:
View attachment 163203

Brand new card from Wal-mart:
View attachment 163204

They are an amazing company with a fantastic product, but in the words of Forrest Gump: "Sh*t happens".

The problem is almost certainly that adapter and not the card itself. I see this a lot when people use an adapter rather than getting an actual SD card.

I remember when the D700 came out, many pros went with this over the D3 for size and I don't remember them complaining about the one card slot at the time. With the XQD card the Z6 and Z7 are fine with one card slot. The Df and D7500 have one card slot, the Df was picked up by a number of wedding photographers when it came out.

Even the D500 and D850 use a slower SD for the second card slot, so if your going for backup to the second card it could slow shooting speed. These cameras probably don't have two XQD slots like the D5 due to size limitations, plus the idea that any old second slot will placate those that want to see that in the camera spec.:)

Here is what a lot of us might be thinking. If 1 card is OK, why did Nikon ever put 2 cards in their upper line of cameras? And, why did they only put 1 card in the D7500-Z6-Z7?
I suspect that Canon/Nikon don't think Mirrorless cameras are of interest to Pros. So they design cameras with that in mind this 'not for pros' thinking ends up being somewhat self fulfilling.

I suspect that Canon/Nikon don't think Mirrorless cameras are of interest to Pros. So they design cameras with that in mind this 'not for pros' thinking ends up being somewhat self fulfilling.
Yeah, why would a pro be interested in a mirrorless that is smaller and lighter with a 24-45mp sensor that can be adapted to most of their current lens collection?

You can get by with one card slot, but why should you if you don't have to? When shooting for your own family photo album, you can suffer lost images, from a damaged card, and only kick yourself. You can usually get more images of the kids, pets, etc, on a future shoot. If you are shooting for a client, and screw up an entire wedding, or such-due to a damaged card-you are out of luck, and perhaps out of business. Why risk it? Two card cameras offer a bit of insurance against such loss. I know various manufacturers make two card mirrorless cameras, and if Nikon makes me wait too long for a Nikon two card mirrorless camera, I may switch to Fuji, or whatever. I will wait a bit, first, though, and see if Nikon gets it's stuff together. Nikon gets one more chance to do this thing right, but time is running out.

Got to be two for me, as I shoot Raw+Jpeg.

This is the easiest poll ever ... two card slots for data security.

Its so basic and essential I can only shake my head in disbelief that I have to actually point this out.

All memory cards fail. Each and every one of them. Doesnt matter what company, doesnt matter what card type. They inevitably do when they have aged too long, or when theres some other problem.

It doesnt happen often ? It has never happend to you ? Well that will help you a LOT when it happends and you lose images you cannot get again.

If I was a producer of cameras, all my cameras, even the cheapest ones, would have two card slots of the same type. Its a complete nobrainer. Its riddiculous to even ask.

You can be of different opinion all you want - but all you demonstrate is ignorance.

I don't mind only having a single card slot. If I am going to take pictures or videos, I take at least 2 cameras.

I suspect that Canon/Nikon don't think Mirrorless cameras are of interest to Pros.
Exactly.

I was somewhat taken aback when people began to assume the Z-cameras were assumed to be "professional" cameras. No idea where that started. They are definitely not "pro" cameras, and were never intended to be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back