The real cost of being sued by Getty

I should indicate that it is quite costly for any individual to prosecute any kind of lawsuit, which is why it is most often done by companies. To give you some idea of the perspective the bill for photocopying ...$20,000 and yes that was totally legitimate.

skieur

I should indicate that it is quite costly for any individual to prosecute any kind of lawsuit, which is why it is most often done by companies. To give you some idea of the perspective the bill for photocopying ...$20,000 and yes that was totally legitimate.

skieur

Legitimate only in the sense of being legal, not in the sense of being ethical or justified. Given that commercial photocopying costs are somwhere between .75 and 2.25 cents/page....

skieur

Legitimate only in the sense of being legal, not in the sense of being ethical or justified. Given that commercial photocopying costs are somwhere between .75 and 2.25 cents/page....

I may be wrong but I think you missed the point. I believe what was meant was that some lawyers submitted a bill for photocopying expenses in the amount of $20,000. If you have a LOT of paper to copy, one could spend that amount, and a legal process needs a LOT of copies.

Allan

The lesson to be learnt?
By all means use the interent for advice - but when things get serious and legal - go pay and ask a proper professional first ;) Would have saved a lot in the longrun to have paid up unfront rather than try to duck under and end up with the massive legal costs

skieur

I may be wrong but I think you missed the point. I believe what was meant was that some lawyers submitted a bill for photocopying expenses in the amount of $20,000. If you have a LOT of paper to copy, one could spend that amount, and a legal process needs a LOT of copies.

Allan

Quite correct Allan, and if photocopying can reach $20,000, then other legal costs relating to suing for copyright violation or for that matter any reason whatsoever, can go up just as fast.

skieur

Allan

Quite correct Allan, and if photocopying can reach $20,000, then other legal costs relating to suing for copyright violation or for that matter any reason whatsoever, can go up just as fast.

skieur

FWIW, if you do ever find yourself contemplating copyright litigation and you're willing to reduce the amount of money you will personally recover at the end in order to reduce the amount of exposure you incur at the start, you should

A: Register your copyrights,
and
B: Try to find an attorney who will work on a contingency basis.

Most reactions

Back