What's new

The Red Barn: C&C please

Nice enough shot, but IMO, not very exciting. I'm looking at the fieldstone foundation, the neat windows, peeling paint, and thinking this might well have been a case where the individual details were stronger than the sum of their parts.
 
I agree about the details. Perhaps a few close ups, even if seen as abstract or textures.
 
Perhaps some direct sunlight falling on the barn would highlight the textures, stones, detail, etc.

Where abouts is this, Rick?
 
Thanks guys, I guess I'll never get much good critque on my type of photography. I see things that interest me, and record them. That about sums it up.

Fan, this is on Daniel Boone Rd, just past the homestead entrance
 
I thought it was down around that area. I grew up in Birdsboro, although I think I was to the Homestead only once!
 
I thought it was down around that area. I grew up in Birdsboro, although I think I was to the Homestead only once!

Once is enough for most people. There's a nice, small stone / wood barn in the back corner of the property, but everyone that ever toured the place has taken a photo of it.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Love the rustic look and detail!
 
I also dug this out of the pile I took that day...
<image snipped>
I really like this one; much more interest, (IMO) in these details. To expand on my original post, I think ideally I would see the barn as an element (a main one to be sure) in a landscape scene.
 
Thanks guys, I guess I'll never get much good critque on my type of photography. I see things that interest me, and record them. That about sums it up.

Fan, this is on Daniel Boone Rd, just past the homestead entrance

And that works, if all you want to do is record it. And that's what you have in your original shot. I like to call them inventory shots. "This barn is cool. Here is a picture of the barn. Next!" There's nothing "wrong" with it, but it will lack emotional and artisitc impact for anyone viewing it, aside from a limited amount of impact for you when you look back at it and go "oh yeah... that was a cool barn,"

Now the second shot is getting more in the direction of artistic interest. You're not just getting an inventory shot of the barn, you're calling out details about the barn that draw you in and make you interested... and make others interested.

Another way to think of it is this... what you took was esentially a residential real-estate shot... of a dwelling that no one is planning to buy. You're filling the wrong requirement, essentially.
 
When you say to yourself "Self, I like that barn!", yourself should next ask "what is it about that barn that I like", and then attempt to photography those things as well.
 
Thanks folks. Ya know, there is a true story that goes with this last photo. Not long ago I never would have taken it. The profile shot of the barn would have been my only mission. But when I was there, I thought I'd do an experiment. I'd take what I've read on here and step back and look. Many shots didn't work, but I thought this might so I put it through PP and stuck it up here as a test.
I'm still very happy with how my profile shot turned out considering the obstacles that were in the way, but I think what I'm going to do is continue with my record shots, then dig deeper. Good advice everyone.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom