The Right Photography Hiking Backpack for the job....

JZoSoPP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a hiking backpack that is most suitable for going on 3-5+ day hiking trips, while bringing my photo equipment.

Gear I normally bring:
- OR Alpine Bivy
- Thermal Sleeping Pad
- All purpose Poncho tarp
- First Aid Kit
- Rope, compass, flashlight, etc...
- A couple pairs of clothing...if even...plenty of socks
- Mostly powerbars for food + bread
- Two water bottles + water filter
- Mamiya C330 + Nikon D90 (a regular sized camera bag holds this + cleaning supplies + film) - No large telephoto lenses - All wide angle.
- Tripod (manfrotto carbon fiber - 30in height take a few)

Normally my problem is that most bags will not allow me to fit my tripod outside for easy access. Normally i'm out there carrying two bags, which is just not suitable for what i'm doing.

I've been looking at several bags already and am wondering if anyone has had any experiences doing long hiking trips with their photo equipment. Especially when dealing with foul weather. What backpack do you use?

I did become quite impressed with the TZ5000 Hunting pack. Plenty of compartments, and it looks like I would be able to place a tripod where the bow/rifle would normally go. It's a bit pricy however, and am not sure just how convincing the photographs of the bag can be haha.

I've looked a bit into the Gregory Palisade 80liter packs and the Deuters 60 liter pack...They seem alright...although the Gregory is just as expensive as the TZ5000... Also am not sure how well they'd hold the tripod.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other bags, or on these particular ones? I'm really interested to know if anyone has used the TZ5000 for Photography purposes.

Thanks in advance and apologies for such a lengthy 1st comment.

I think any backpack designed for longer hunting trips would probably work. You can usually find some way to strap the tripod where the rifle would be. I have a day pack that I've converted for trekking my landscape gear. It's just a Camelbak that was designed for back country skiers and snowboarders. Basically, the design is so that you can strap the board or skis onto the pack. It's just a few clip straps and loops...works perfectly for my tripod. Basically camera and lenses in the bag, extra battery and remote in one of the pocket compartments, and the tripod strapped on the back.

Sounds like you need something bigger for your application (I don't usually do long trips with just a bag), but surely they make endurance backpacks for cross country skiers. Pretty much any winter bag will give you protection from the elements. This is one of those purchases that I would say you should buy in store. Take a look and make sure its got what you need.

...Or find yourself a Shirpa. That would work too.

I do what you are looking to do all the time, in the worst mountain weather possible :-D (High Sierras in winter)

I use a 50 Liter internal frame pack from REI (~$150), first and foremost it must be comfortable all day because you will be carrying all your normal camping gear + photography equipment.

In the pack:
main area
Ultralight Tent
Sleeping bag and pad
extra layer of clothing / down jacket
camelback w/ 3 L water
Stove & fuel

secondary area:
bear cannister w/ food
Anything else I can cram into the bear canister, filters, cable releases, water filter, etc

Additional Pockets:
knife, first aid kit, SPOT, sunglasses, car keys, etc

External mesh side pocket 1: Tripod which is strapped in place using a side strap on top
External mesh side pocket 2: spare water bottle or empty

External mesh front poclet: crampons & ice axe if needed
Strapped to front if needed: snow shoes

Now where to put the camera? I use a D800 and bring a 24-70 lens. I either wrap it in my down jacket in the main pocket or use an external waterproof case which I strap to my pack or carry over my shoulder when shooting. When shooting in bad weather its really nice to have the external case as I nearly destroyed my D7000 by taking it in and out of my pack in the rain.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Awesome, I really appreciate the recommendations so far! They've been very helpful!
I don't have time right now to go into further details/questions, or to check out the bags y'all are recommending....but as soon as I get back from my camping trip this Sunday...i'll give a better response.

Thank you so far for all the helpful info!

I use a Osprey Atmos 50 for shorter trips and Osprey Argon 70 for longer trips. I love both packs.

I keep my camera gear in a small lowepro holster that I typically keep in my pack or I can attach it to my chest straps with some custom clips and webbing I put together. I keep my camera odds and ends in a small 5L dry bag and I also carry a 15L dry bag just in case I run into heavy weather. When packing in canyons that require swims my camera always gets double dry bagged.

I do own a ClickElite hiker but I find it slightly too heavy when compared to the 2lb+ Atmos. Heres a shot of my hiker form a few years back.

Clik Elite Hiker Large by Summit42, on Flickr

"New" Clik Elite Hiker by Summit42, on Flickr

I do know that ClickElite will be releasing a new hiker pack around spring 2013. The prototype pack I saw has the same camera bay as the current hiker, 4000ci (60L) for gear storage, and its in a few pounds lighter!

Most reactions

Back