The River Zion

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
nightwatch2.jpg

This photo was easily the highlight of my entire trip to Utah, and one I dreamed of capturing for months before heading out there. This view of the Virgin River and the Watchman is probably the most iconic view of this amazing National Park, taken from the Canyon Junction bridge. You'll see this view everywhere while out there- on travel guides, keychains, postcards, etc., but I hadn't seen any photos of it with the Milky Way. My first night in Utah, there was a few hour window of clear skies, and I was so lucky to capture this image just before the clouds moved in. I really fell in love with Utah, and miss it so much already!

I used a new technique for this image, stacking ten exposures at ISO10,000, 10" each for the sky, rather than one 25 second exposure at ISO3200. This really reduced the noise and increased detail, but it did mean more processing. I'll be doing this from now on when I can. I also took an 8 minute foreground exposure at ISO1600

Amazing picture. That kind of nightckape photos I would like to take myself.

That is great! Your Utah shots are making me think I need to plan a trip.

very nice pic. Good explanation of how you did it as well. Thanks for posting .

Thanks everyone! This photo is really a culmination of everything I've been learning and working on- shooting and processing, for the last year or so. I knew I had to make it count, not like I can easily go back during the next new moon haha. Really happy with this

This has been nominated for POTM May, 2015

Now you are in competition with yourself! :1247:

This has been nominated for POTM May, 2015

Now you are in competition with yourself! :1247:

thanks! The funny thing is, the first photo was just something I took to kill time while waiting for this composition to line up

Most reactions

Back