The Rock (1st post here)

Marc Kurth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3688bweb.jpg

Thank you for the kind words and the welcome - I appreciate that.
This was printed large on Kodak Endura Metallic paper which has a pearlescent silver look in the whites. The impact of that particular paper is what really makes this image for me.

Yup,

Nikon D200, Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 at 24mm, f10, 1/320, iso 100, shot jpg. B&W conversion via CS3 only.

Hello, fellow Texan :)

The only criticism of this image I have is the tiny wing (I think) frame right that just barely sticks into the image. I'm kicking myself for noticing it but once I did, I can't stop being drawn to it. It's the only thing in the image that isn't identifiable by the pats in the image itself. How minor is that and how pathetic am I?!?

Anyway, it's gorgeous. Stunning. Where was it taken?

Yup,

Nikon D200, Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 at 24mm, f10, 1/320, iso 100, shot jpg. B&W conversion via CS3 only.

Interesting, very nice choice of F stop. To me the mountain feels like its 100 miles away, which I thought it was.. until you told me the F stop :)

So yeah pretty much what that blabber equates to is...

Cool! Good work!

Hello, fellow Texan :)

The only criticism of this image I have is the tiny wing (I think) frame right that just barely sticks into the image............... Stunning. Where was it taken?

Good catch! It's part of a light/antenna pole. This is actually a different crop than the print (I had to go back and look)

This was shot in the harbor at Morro Bay, CA where I lived until I moved to Bastrop a few months ago. Morro Rock is just under 600' high and sits at the harbor entrance.

Interesting, very nice choice of F stop. To me the mountain feels like its 100 miles away, which I thought it was.. until you told me the F stop :)

I'm guessing it's about 1/2 mile, but it very obviously stands out as a local landmark. I have a whole series of images of Morro Rock because it is the local landmark and that that's what sold prints to tourists. This was probably in the top ten sellers in the gallery.

Thank you again for your supportive comments

Last edited:
Hello fellow Southerner! Stunning shot!!!!!! That could be in a magazine or tourist guide... seriously!

Hello fellow Southerner! Stunning shot!!!!!! That could be in a magazine or tourist guide... seriously!

It did make it into a few publications for destination/travel (Sunset/Westways/Over50, etc.), but earning a particular blue ribbon judged by my peers was much more rewarding for me.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back