The S5

EJBPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I searched and searched and can't seem to find anything about it, so I am officially making a post about this really interesting supposedly awesome camera. Has anyone tried the new Fuji DSLR? I know a lot of people who shoot with it and love it, but I would love to hear some more reviews from this website. I have a D70 right now and will eventually be upgrading this fall to either the D200 or the S5 (even though I realize its more money than the Nikon). The S5 for people who don't know is compatible with most Nikon lenses and I hear that straight out of camera image is just stunning.

Any opinions on what you would do? General reviews on the S5? I know it's new so there might be quirks, but I haven't heard many complaints yet from Fuji shooters except that it's a bit slow- slower than the D200 at least.

Thanks so much :) Would love some discussion about this intriguing body.

As much as I hate to say it, Ken actually has the most detailed article on it i've seen on it, that includes magazines. He really shows you that you can overexpose by something like 4 stops and pull almost all the detail out of the highlights. It's crazy. That, and supposably the auto white balance is spot on for skin tones everytime, but he also photographed his baby, so you only got that skin tone. I bet his mother has completely different complexion.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/s5.htm

DPreview didn't have anything on it.

I'll check that out- thanks so much. I've been reading reviews all night. Yes I hear the skin tones on the S5 rock... I would love to find one at a camera store near me that I could just go get the feel for- but of course no one seems to have it. Thanks for the link!

I dunno, i've heard that it's really not the fastest camera on the block. sub-3fps really is a turn off. it's somethign like 1fps in the highlight mode.

I read a short review about the Fuji S5 in Outdoor Photography (British Magazine). The author of the review (a D200 owner) was seriously conisdering buying the S5 for its increased dynamic range. However, it is true that it is not the fastest camera around (only 1.5 fps in high dynamic range mode). I guess the S5 is well suited for landscape photography where differences between shadows and highlights are quite important and where speed is not an issue.

Most reactions

Back