The Sierras and Fall Colors

First Impressions:
1. Great colour, almost to the extent that it looks oversaturated - regardless, great oranges. 2. Great moonset - I would be curious to know the exposure details here. 3. Interesting B&W - I assuming this is a conversion and if so, how did you do it.

WesternGuy

Thanks for taking the time to critique

1. I didnt touch the saturation slider but waited to shoot until the sun was behind the leaves making them glow. I did a curves adjust on the mid tones and darks, perhaps that added a bit too much saturation, but too taste I suppose.

2. Dont recall the exact exposure times, but it was a 3 shot bracket, longest for the trees, -1 stop for the sky, and -3 stops for the moon. Then blended by hand in photoshop.

3. It is a conversion, the light was just too "meh" for color. One of the few shots I deliberately shot for B&W. I used Nik Silver Efects to convert and then did some dodging and burning on the arch and mountain.
Thanks for the info. I did wonder about the second one, but the 3 shot bracket explains how it came out so well.

WesternGuy

Yeah I wanted to use a GND when I saw the scene to capture it in one shot, but the moon was sinking fast and I had to hike nearly a mile from the car to get into position. So I bracketed out of desperation ;)

All fantastic ! Lone Pine Peak is a classic. HOW AA missed that view ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back